Hey guys, I need a Biology IA due tomorrow!

I've been thinking of them for over a month now and I still don't have anything, and it's getting super difficult. What did you do? Were there any topics that you liked but your teacher did not approve ( I can try to get ideas from it).

Even discussing topics and things in biology is going to help here

THANK YOU SO MUCH

I wanted to find correlation between weight, height, age and family disease history in blood sugar level. But, my teacher said it might face ethical issues and didn't approve it. I just made that idea out of just curiosity and it wasn't that focused or interesting topic. I did the effect of surface area to volume ratio of enzyme (specifically catalase) on rate of reaction. I was really into enzyme because I know a lot about catalyst since I took Chemistry HL. 

Personally, I think enzyme related experiments will produce reliable data and you can write a lot about the experiment by relating it to chemistry and you can always show personal perseverance stuff by stating that enzymes are crucial in executing metabolisms in our body...

I also did enzymes, which is fine if you're into chemistry, but you can also do experiments with something (salt, humidity, pH) influencing the germination of seeds that germinate quickly, also things with like correlating skin folds (there is a simple apparatus for measuring that) and weight, which is ethical and simple...

Another friend did experiments on how plant extracts can prevent UV rays from killing bacteria, but she had loads of work and got less marks than me in the end, but she had so much fun :)

I did my bio IA of how the pH affect  the rate of reaction of enzymes in fruits, a stimulation of how pH of gastric juice affects protease specifically in food like pineapple, kiwi, etc. I had a lot of fun but I did not score a high mark with it :). However, I am happy with my results because I had so much fun performing this experiment. 

My recommendation for you to start on a Bio IA is to do something that you are interested in, be confident and discuss it with your teacher. The syllabus and instructions for IA were unclear, but after one year of "guinea pig" trial on the 2016 people, I am sure your teacher has some first-hand experience in giving you useful comments. If you ran out of idea, think of these followings that I have taken some Bio IA topics from previous classmates: 

• 1. Enzymes (pH, temperature, etc...) 
  • 2. Plants (Photosynthesis : Light intensity, humidity though hard to control) 
  • 3. Respiration (Aerobic and Anaerobic) 
  • 4. Chlorophyll Pigment (TLC remodelling) 
  • 5. Ecology (you can do something out of lab! For example, my friend did something with water tide + chi square experiment) 
  • 6. Surface area to volume ratio (this is a bit tricky) 

Hope it helps. I cannot give too much detail of what my classmates did, but it can certainly give you a heads-on. Do something INTERESTING or else you are wasting 10 hours of your life + potential risk in Biology IB. (like me, unfortunately getting a  low 5 with no reason and not quite useful comments from my teacher). 

Edited by inriya