Can you do HL Econs if you arent great at Maths?

Hey!, I was wondering how much Maths do you need for Econs? I'm in Maths Core grade 10 right now and I get 7s but Im going to be doing Studies next year, and I'm doing Literature and Geography so I don't really have experience in Econs. Would it too hard for me? I'm not really into Science/Maths. I'l also be doing HL History without prior experience. Is it too stressful to take Econs + History HL without doing in pre ib?

I don't know about History and Econ together, because I did only Econ. But HL Econ has really plain and simple math: a couple of formulas you don't need to understand in order to apply them and tasks always repeat so you will never be suprised with that they ask you to calculate and you are permitted a calculator even for that simple calculation. You actually only need to understand graphs more than in SL and there are a few theories that you need to learn extra. 

If math is your only concern, I believe that it won't be a problem in Econ HL, I'm not good at Maths, but even for me the calculations in Econ HL are simple.

3 hours ago, Justaboy said:

Is it too stressful to take Econs + History HL without doing in pre ib?

Pre-IB is not important at all, IB is a self-contained programme for most subjects (obviously, not stuff like maths or languages B HL, where you need background knowledge). 

My friend has done both Econ and History at HL and she enjoyed it, had a 6 in History and 7 in Econ (after pretty much self-studying it because of a crap teacher). If Econ is what you're interested in, go for it. 

HL Econ is one of the easiest HL subjects out there, in my opinion. I always get better on HL tests than I do in SL in econ, with less practise. 

I think you'll do fine. I do not have a lot of mathematical skills, and I can do it (I have  6 in mathematical studies).

On 5/14/2016 at 9:43 PM, Justaboy said:

Hey!, I was wondering how much Maths do you need for Econs? I'm in Maths Core grade 10 right now and I get 7s but Im going to be doing Studies next year, and I'm doing Literature and Geography so I don't really have experience in Econs. Would it too hard for me? I'm not really into Science/Maths. I'l also be doing HL History without prior experience. Is it too stressful to take Econs + History HL without doing in pre ib?

Okay, I take History HL, Economics HL, and also take Math Studies.

History is not impossible by any means, you just have to show enthusiasm, and really make an effort to improve your essay writing skills over the 2 years you're in the IB.

Economics is not very hard, the math is fairly easy, the hardest part is remembering what the graphs look like in my opinion.

The level of Math required isn't high at all. It's more of testing the concepts behind the calculations rather than the Math itself. I know a couple of people that struggle in Math but excel in Econ. It's essentially basic addition, subtraction, and some algebra (Max 7th grade level Math). Hope this helps! Good luck for IB!

On 5/23/2016 at 11:06 PM, Alex Smith-napier said:

Okay, I take History HL, Economics HL, and also take Math Studies.

History is not impossible by any means, you just have to show enthusiasm, and really make an effort to improve your essay writing skills over the 2 years you're in the IB.

Economics is not very hard, the math is fairly easy, the hardest part is remembering what the graphs look like in my opinion.

Alright! Thanks a lot to everyone else too. I'm confident in my essay writing skills mainly because i've developed it a lot since I've been doing Literature in Grade 9 + 10. But I was just worried if the maths would be too hard since I heard some rumors on an Econs paper being fully based on Maths ><. Also most of my friends who are going to do Econs HL next year are the ones who are in accelerated (Highest level) maths. 

1 hour ago, Justaboy said:

Alright! Thanks a lot to everyone else too. I'm confident in my essay writing skills mainly because i've developed it a lot since I've been doing Literature in Grade 9 + 10. But I was just worried if the maths would be too hard since I heard some rumors on an Econs paper being fully based on Maths ><. Also most of my friends who are going to do Econs HL next year are the ones who are in accelerated (Highest level) maths. 

There is only one paper with math in it, Paper 3. Which is relatively easy. You will be fine, I suck at math, and I'm doing quite well aha.

• 1 month later...