Is my EE topic (UBI) too interdisciplinary?

Jes.sTudying

I would like my EE topic to be about theoretically implementing a Universal Basic Income in the United States. I don't mean the hurdles that would exist from the perspectives of legislators, but the impact it would have on the market and the lives of individuals' from varying classes.

(If you are unfamiliar with this topic, here are some cites you can check out which simplify the issue: http://www.basicincome.org/basic-income/ and https://www.quora.com/What-are-the-benefits-and-drawbacks-of-basic-income-guarantee)

I am absolutely fascinated by this topic and have been researching it during my free time for a while now—even before trying to find an EE topic. Everyone's telling me to pick something which captivates me, though, so I can't get the idea of researching this extensively out of my head. If I did choose this, however, that would mean disregarding the advice I've heard everywhere of choosing a subject area first. I can't figure out which subject this would fit under best. I'm rather daunted with the prospect of committing to an economics EE as I have not taken the subject as a class before due to the lack of elective opportunity in our school. This year, I took Social and Cultural Anthropology as opposed to Chemistry or Physics. Any knowledge I have in the area stems entirely from personal interest. I have more experience in general political theory due to having a large role in the debate club. I'm unsure of how to distinguish a difference between these two subjects' criteria from the ibo manual and would appreciate any support in this task. The adviser I would receive has no impact on my decision as we are not allowed to personally choose them anyway here.

Thank you for any advice you may give either directly or indirectly related to my question. Let me know if you are in need of any further clarification. Our teachers are pressuring us to have a topic by the end of the week.

• Like 1

It is great that you are so interested in the topic, but don't go for an EE in a subject you don't have, because the EE is graded according to the subject matter, for example if it's economics they do look at you understanding of economics etc... While it is not impossible to do well, it makes more work for you to get to know the basics of economcs studied in the IB. I don't know if the subject would fit Anthropology, but if you can "make it" fit, like looking at aspects of UBI that concern anthropology, then I say go for it.

First of all, that's an awesome idea. However, as an Economics HL student I must warn you that if you hate graphs you might want to avoid this. Graphs for economics make my head spin, and the ones relating to this even more so. That being said, this topic has a lot to offer, but before you decide on anything talk to your EE advisor about it. Also you may want to go check out the Economics textbook at the library, and start looking into how you would discuss this. (a good start would be the possible externalities)

• Like 2