IB History IA

bhowlett28

Pic on title page: unless your teacher has said explicitly to put one on (or not) it's completely up to you. If you put one just footnote it with the source info.

In the appendix: don't put anything that's not critical to your analysis in there. So, if you put a pic on the cover page just because it looks nice you don't need it in the appendix. 

On 5/22/2016 at 5:30 AM, bhowlett28 said:

Is it appropriate to have a footnote on a title page?

It's not. You shouldn't have a picture on your title page anyway. If there is an image that is very relevant (e.g. in my IA, I compared Trotsky and Goldstein from Nineteen Eighty-Four and it was far more useful to show a picture of him than to waste words to describe him), you can include it in your summary of evidence/analysis (Part B or whatever it's called now) within the first few lines. It will be seen as bad style if you just put a picture on your title page.

I did it like this: my first sentence was "Leon Bronstein, better known as Trotsky [footnote]" and under the footnote, I had "A photograph of him is included as Appendix A", then I cited the photo both as a footnote under the appendix and in the reference list.

Good luck with the HI!