Predicted Grades; Who needs 'em right?

It is currently 11:40pm on Sunday. I have end of year exams this week, and they're worth 50% of my predicted grades. My grade in English LL HL is embarrassing because my teacher is such a cruel marker, and the class average is 3.2/7. I spent the past 3 days trying to finish my TOK essay which my TOK Teacher, who is also my English teacher, decided Monday should be when the first draft is due. I'm sort of debating if I should give up, and sleep, or try to cram a bit more Paper 1 practice before I goto sleep.

How significant are my predicted grades, and more importantly if I get my finalised IB grades, and then apply with those rather than my predicted (which for english I know will be higher) what would be better? Disregarding the fact I'd be going to Uni a year later.

It depends where and when you are applying as to the relevance of predicted grades.

When applying to the UK, you use your predicted grades to apply to Universities and if your predicted grades do not meet their minimum requirements then you pretty much definitely won't be offered a place. So predicted grades in a weird way matter more than your actual final grades because the University may make a more generous offer than your predictions and you have some scope for your final grades to be a little lower!

Really it depends on the University system of whichever country you hope to study in.

• Like 1

Hey,

As far as I know, and actually what my experienced Chemistry teacher said was that in US and Canada, predicted graders are the only things they care. I mean, for example when you apply to UK, (of course, that will be with your predicted grades, because of the due of application to Universities) with your predicted grades, you get a CONDITIONAL offer, meaning that if your actual grades will be lower than what your school predicted, then you won't be able to go to that University.

On the other hand, in US and Canada, there are UNCONDITIONAL offers, in which you apply to University with your predicted grades, get an offer and go to the University -- don't care that much your actual grades

BTW, I am not talking about top universities in US and Canada. These are the good ones. 

Hope this helped.

41 minutes ago, Amina13 said:

Hey,

As far as I know, and actually what my experienced Chemistry teacher said was that in US and Canada, predicted graders are the only things they care. I mean, for example when you apply to UK, (of course, that will be with your predicted grades, because of the due of application to Universities) with your predicted grades, you get a CONDITIONAL offer, meaning that if your actual grades will be lower than what your school predicted, then you won't be able to go to that University.

Correction: you won't go to that university if your grades are lower than your offer, not than your predicted. I was predicted 42, I think, but none of my offers was that high: I had 2 offers of 39 points and 3 of 36 points. But to apply, your predicted need to match or exceed the entry requirements of the given university. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Amina13 said:

Hey,

On the other hand, in US and Canada, there are UNCONDITIONAL offers, in which you apply to University with your predicted grades, get an offer and go to the University -- don't care that much your actual grades

BTW, I am not talking about top universities in US and Canada. These are the good ones. 

Hope this helped.

Yeah, I intend on going to Canada for university. However, I do know that Canadian universities do use the conditional offer for IB students, and I know they let people in with relatively low IB scores regardless. I know someone who got into Dalhousie, and they didn't even pass the IB.

Also, another random question, can your teacher give you a failing predicted grade? Even if they their marking standards are much higher than that of the IB?

1 hour ago, Alex Smith-napier said:

Yeah, I intend on going to Canada for university. However, I do know that Canadian universities do use the conditional offer for IB students, and I know they let people in with relatively low IB scores regardless. I know someone who got into Dalhousie, and they didn't even pass the IB.

Also, another random question, can your teacher give you a failing predicted grade? Even if they their marking standards are much higher than that of the IB?

You're right. Canadian universities uses conditional offers, the range of scores vary from school to school and whether IB marks are factored. Keep in mind, universities want to look at your actual grades after you're done with IB.

IB teachers can give you a failing grade....but I'd doubt they'd give you one if you were putting effort in the course. Failing grades reflect poorly on the teacher, whether predicted or actual ;)

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Alex Smith-napier said:

I think, predicted grades should be based on the examination on past papers. As past papers have their own Markschemes, I believe that teacher should check them based on those mark schemes. 

Again, these are my thoughts and how things go on at our school.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Amina13 said:

I think, predicted grades should be based on the examination on past papers. As past papers have their own Markschemes, I believe that teacher should check them based on those mark schemes. 

Again, these are my thoughts and how things go on at our school.

I totally agree. It should be marked according to the mark scheme, but our teacher will take away points for things he doesn't like. There is little point complaining about it, it is what it is, and I cannot change that.

Predicted grades can always be updated e.g. I'm going to receive my first set of predicted grades some time this October based on my end of IB1 mocks as well as classwork, however I will have a new set of predicted grades after I've completed my November mocks, and then another set after my final mocks in March. Since I'm applying to the UC system in November, I'm going to have to use my first set of predicted grades, but I also plan on applying to UK universities and due to their much later deadlines, I can afford to use my second set of predicted grades, which will hopefully be better. Should I for any reason apply to any more universities once I've graduated from the IB with my final grades, I will be applying with those instead of predicted grades. So bottom line, don't sweat about it too much :) 

Edited by IB`ez
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, IB`ez said:

Predicted grades can always be updated e.g. I'm going to receive my first set of predicted grades some time this October based on my end of IB1 mocks as well as classwork, however I will have a new set of predicted grades after I've completed my November mocks, and then another set after my final mocks in March. Since I'm applying to the UC system in November, I'm going to have to use my first set of predicted grades, but I also plan on applying to UK universities and due to their much later deadlines, I can afford to use my second set of predicted grades, which will hopefully be better. Should I for any reason apply to any more universities once I've graduated from the IB with my final grades, I will be applying with those instead of predicted grades. So bottom line, don't sweat about it too much :) 

That's very comforting to me as I am about to try to do 2 days worth of revision in an hour for economics. Not by choice, but I had little time on the weekend. Hopefully my new school will reassess my predicted grades at some point.