Music HL: Required musical skill to get a 7

Daryl Ryan

Hi guys, I may be taking Music HL as one of my subjects and am just curious on the level of difficulty and required skill in music to achieve a 5, 6, or 7. I'm really passionate about music and would really love to learn more about it. If I'm not able to carry the workload and do sufficiently well, I'll drop it to Music SL and bump up my Geography to HL.

1) I don't really have a background in music theory and have never really studied it in depth, so is that going to be a problem if I take music HL? 

Concerning instruments, I can play the guitar and piano, both of which I learned how to play on my own through the internet.

For guitar, I'm able to play songs just by looking at the chords on Ultimate Guitar, provided the chords aren't too advanced. For piano, I think the most tricky piece I have learned to play is Greyson Chance's rendition of Papparazi Here it is if you haven't heard it (his voice is just insane for a guy, especially his range and power at that time) 

For my voice, I would give it a 7 out of 10, its not crazy good, but at least its pretty good when I sing in my range.

Generally, for people who have gotten a 7 in music HL, how well are they able to play their instrument or sing?

Based on my musical skills, how likely is it for me to get a 7 in music HL? Is 6 a more realistic goal?

And would it be advisable for me to take music SL to get a higher score? 

Thanks for your time and opinions. :) 

Hi, 

In terms of music theory you should at least know how to recognise notes and keys, as this will be what a lot of your first year of music HL or SL will be based around. Composition, Performance and Analysis is the majority of the course; and depending on your teacher you may do the the MLI (A written musical analysis) early on too. But you should be ok with a baseline level of music theory. 

With regard to instruments. This is where its tough, you need a relatively good standard, for example I did Moonlight Sonata, and Gerudo Valley https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qIl-O60_yt8 . Additionally depending on the level of music you take, you need to record quite a lot of music. HL = 20 minutes / SL = 15 minutes. The IB look for variety in music, different types of styles, so If you playguitar, and decide to take music, try many different styles, this excites the examiners. 

With your level of music it sounds like SL may be an easier option for you, and ensures that you enjoy the subject as well as achieve good scores. Music HL is tough but I think you can achieve well at that level, as long as you work really hard!

To get a 7 in Music HL is very hard, you need to work incredibly hard and produce very good music and work; 6 may be a safer goal or taking Music SL. 

Hope this helps your decision. ^_^

Good luck for your 1st year of IB! 

• Like 3

^Pretty much sums up my understanding of IB Music.

Something I would like to add is that if you take SL music you can avoid any performance at all if this is something that you are worried about. Your internal component (excluding MLI) for SL music worth 50% of your mark and you do either composition, solo performance or group performance. So you can opt to do composition and therefore don't need to perform at all :) Good luck with whatever you decide!

On 5/24/2016 at 1:53 AM, Oscarthecat3 said:

With your level of music it sounds like SL may be an easier option for you, and ensures that you enjoy the subject as well as achieve good scores. Music HL is tough but I think you can achieve well at that level, as long as you work really hard!

To get a 7 in Music HL is very hard, you need to work incredibly hard and produce very good music and work; 6 may be a safer goal or taking Music SL. 

Hope this helps your decision. ^_^

Hmm I'll keep that in mind. I'm going to discuss with my music teacher about whether or not I should take Music HL.

On 5/24/2016 at 11:26 AM, gone2morrow said:

Something I would like to add is that if you take SL music you can avoid any performance at all if this is something that you are worried about.

Haha thanks for the tip, but I think I'm fine with performing, I kinda like it :D 

On 5/24/2016 at 1:53 AM, Oscarthecat3 said:

Good luck for your 1st year of IB! 

On 5/24/2016 at 11:26 AM, gone2morrow said:

Good luck with whatever you decide!

@gone2morrow @Oscarthecat3 At this stage, I think maybe I'll take Music SL. Thanks for the advice and wishes!!