Do colleges consider ess and business easy subjects

empire

I was just wondering as I heard from many people that taking Business HL or ESS SL is pointless if I want to go into business 

These are the subjects im planning on taking - HL - ECON , BUSINESS/PSYCH , ENG . SL - MATH , FRENCH AB AND ESS/CHEM/BIO 

Cant decide between business or psych and ess , chem and , bio . Pleasee helppp

It's pretty useless to take Chemistry as your only science subject without Biology/Physics to complement it, and even more so if you're planning to take Business in university.

ESS does get bad stigma as a super easy subject that isn't even a real "science" per se, but that's really just amongst IB students and I very much doubt universities would see the same.

Business Management is more or less the same difficulty as Economics, so there's no reason why you should avoid it if you want to study business. 

From all my discussions with my university guidance counsellor, business schools mostly look at your grades from Business Management and Maths SL (which is required by most good universities -- Maths HL is even better from what I've heard, but not required). 

Basically if you want to take a solo Science subject, ESS is honestly the best choice if you plan on studying business. If you're worried about getting mocked, then you can take Biology/Physics, although it's going to require more time and effort from you. 

By many (if not all) colleges courses like Business are in fact considered soft topics. This means that even for uni courses like Business they will not actually require you to do IB business. Mostly it is preferred if someone does Economics HL instead. The same thing goes with ESS and the sciences. It is considered an easy alternative to physics chem and bio. I do not think that chosing one soft subject will exclude you college courses unless they are very competitive. However the majority of your IB subjects should be "hard" subjects. Otherwise colleges might think you intended to go the easy way. Now, unless you think that a combination without soft subjects will be too difficult, I would recommend psychology instead of Business and chem or bio instead of ess. Psychology may be great for HR and marketing in business and the science is good to demonstrate grit and willingness.

1 minute ago, AdrianP said:

By many (if not all) colleges courses like Business are in fact considered soft topics. This means that even for uni courses like Business they will not actually require you to do IB business. Mostly it is preferred if someone does Economics HL instead. The same thing goes with ESS and the sciences. It is considered an easy alternative to physics chem and bio. I do not think that chosing one soft subject will exclude you college courses unless they are very competitive. However the majority of your IB subjects should be "hard" subjects. Otherwise colleges might think you intended to go the easy way. Now, unless you think that a combination without soft subjects will be too difficult, I would recommend psychology instead of Business and chem or bio instead of ess. Psychology may be great for HR and marketing in business and the science is good to demonstrate grit and willingness.

Thanksss so much . But between bio SL and chem SL which one would be better ? in terms of how hard it is and which one would help me...

Take what you prefer. You will have to learn quite a bit in the IB. So it's better you take a subject where learning is interesting. For me, I would not take bio. It has just never interested me. Chem on the other hand is awesome imo.

1 hour ago, AdrianP said:

Take what you prefer. You will have to learn quite a bit in the IB. So it's better you take a subject where learning is interesting. For me, I would not take bio. It has just never interested me. Chem on the other hand is awesome imo.

Ohh , IB Bio seems like it has alot of content and chem sl is very similar to IGCSE chemistry . Im equally good at both , Also  Im taking Psych HL so taking bio SL would help me more than Chem SL right ?