Need help to decide my IB courses

theKorian

So, I am going to be enrolled in the IB next year, and my current course choices are as follows:

HL Biology

HL Business

HL French

HL Math

SL History

SL Literature

My concern is with literature. I would really love to take HL lit, however there is no room. I was wondering about the worth of taking HL business, and if it is even worth taking over literature. I would really love to fit HL lit in there somehow. 

You'd have to ask yourself if what it's worth to you taking HL literature or HL business. It depends on what you want to do and if any of them are required subjects. It also depends on your love/ aptitude for either subject. Which subject do you think you're better at, and would easily spend time and effort doing.

I'd take HL English Lit instead of HL Business. I took HL English and I got a lot out of it whereas Business is sometimes considered 'useless' and among the easiest HL courses. HL English is also really applicable since your writing will drastically improve which is helpful for any post-secondary education. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

It seems to be as you are not going to continue with anything with science, nor economics, and hence, math HL might be a bit of a "waste" as it will take up a lot of your time. Sure, it looks good on paper, but if you're able to get a better grade in SL with less work, that might be a more suitable choice. Although, if you enjoy math, of course choose that. :-)

Anyways, good luck!

• Like 1

If your subject is Business & Management, not Economics, definitely take HL Lit, since B&M is viewed as a 'soft subject'. I'd also recommend dropping Math HL and taking SL, you don't need four HLs. But also: definitely check universities' requirements for the things you may want to study, no point in limiting yourself too much (e.g. I took History SL in the first year of IB, realised I want to pursue history at the end of the year, and it was a headache going from SL to HL).

Good luck!

If you're applying to the UK, Business is viewed as a soft subject in A level not IB. The "soft subject" list by UK top universities (including Cambridge University) is an A level list and doesn't really apply to IB. Generally speaking taking Business in IB would not automatically disadvantage you in any way shape or form. I don't even think there's an official IB "soft subject" list that isn't based on hearsay. 

Edited by ChocolateDrop
  • Like 1