Consequences for law students if Britain should leave the EU

RClarkson

Hey Guys,

I am planning on studying Law in London. I have received my conditional and unconditional offers via UCAS meaning that I will head off to London in September of this year to start University (please note that I did not apply for an International Law course). However recent articles about Britain leaving the EU have been concerning me for the past weeks. I am aware that we still have to wait until the 23th of June until there is any kind of certainty about what will actually happen however it never harms to think about the potential outcomes already. My second option after London would be to study Law in Switzerland.

I am now wondering what your thoughts are on this situation ? Do you think the BREXIT scenario will decrease the value of studying Law in London and decrease the Job prospects for me if I am planning on working outside Britain after my studies are completed ? Also do you expect Universities to immediately respond to the exit in regards to Fees and Program structure for a Law Course?. Clearly this is all very theoretical but I am really wondering what your thoughts are on this situation and what you would do in my Position go for London or Switzerland ?

I hope all of you get your Points and make it into your Universities :)   

If you want to work outside of the UK anyway, I don't know why it should affect you. It's not like English law will stop existing if Brexit happens, I genuinely don't know why it'd affect your job prospects. UK universities are not going to suddenly lose their prestige. Though, if you want to be a lawyer outside of the UK, it would probably be a better idea to study the local legal system instead. 

As for fees, I've no idea, I don't think they'll react immediately, since if the UK is still in the EU (and they can't just exit within a day), they need to treat EU students the same as home students. 

When it comes to programme structure, I doubt there will be any change if UK votes leave. Those programmes have had the same structure for years, from what I know, and UK law is not particularly tied to EU law, so there's no reason for the structure to be in any way affected. 

Well the UK has of course now suicidally voted to leave... although article 50, the actual thing that starts the process of leaving, has not yet been invoked. It would also take at least 2 years probably to sort out even from when it is activated. So in terms of having to pay fees and so on, I expect if you applied to a UK University soon it wouldn't make much difference. If they accept you on EU principles they can't really take that funding away even if the laws changed mid-way through. So if you applied in the next few years I think you may be alright fees-wise.

• 2 months later...

decrease the value of studying Law in London and decrease the Job prospects? Not at all. This is kind of funny as those unis exist for about 500 years or even more- why would "vote leave" decision change the reputation they've got?

I'm rather afraid of increasing the fees than anything else. I tried to check whats changed but there isn't much information about the decisions made.