How hard are my subject selections?

IndianTrump3688

Hey guys, please comment on my selections and their difficulty. 

HL History 

HL Economics

HL Physics

SL Maths

SL English LangLit

SL Ab Initio Spanish 

-------

I'm mainly just really worried about Higher Physics because everyone talks about how hard it is to even get a 6 in Physics and everything. I'm willing to work over summer though, if that would be advantageous at all. 

• Like 1

I'm going to be a pre-IB once school comes back in, so I'm not an expert, but from what I heard from my friends who go to IB schools, HL Physics is a killer! I also heard that all math no matter what is pretty hard, but really, it just depends on what you're good at... Good luck! ^_^

On 6/3/2016 at 3:35 PM, iiimee said:

I'm going to be a pre-IB once school comes back in, so I'm not an expert, but from what I heard from my friends who go to IB schools, HL Physics is a killer! I also heard that all math no matter what is pretty hard, but really, it just depends on what you're good at... Good luck! ^_^

Thank you!! :) Super worried for Physics, I hope all goes well though!

Oh wow, you've got a long way to go till IB! I'd say enjoy your life until then HAHA What subjects are you planning on taking next year?  

• 2 weeks later...

HL Physics is insane. You need to put in a lot of effort to even try getting a 6.

HL Economics is very easy. Simple math and a lot of common sense.

HL History is a lot of memorization and you need to have really good essay skills

SL Maths is decent. If you're good at math you should be fine

And languages depends on the person!

• Like 1

You're not class of May 2016, thus i'm sure your Physics exam will be fine. Physics HL was one of the most enjoyable classes i've had during the two years of IB. It is demanding, but then again what's the point of taking the easy way out? There's no better feeling than getting a 7 in Physics during class tests, seriously. Plus, you learn quite a fair amount on the importance which Physics has on our daily lives. It is quite demanding and you might feel desperate at times but it will benefit your knowledge. 

• Like 1

All my friends taking HL Physics tell me its easily their best and easiest subject. My school consistently churns out more than a few level-7 Physics HL students (out of a dozen) every exam session for the past 2 years (with the same teacher) but that said, it might depend heavily on the teacher as I hear differently from my friends at other schools. 

SL Maths is very solid but I was also told HL Maths complement HL Physics very well, so if you're more than average at Maths and willing to spend the time & effort to achieve well in it, it might be preferable to take HL Maths. 

Your other 2 HLs are common Group 3 subjects, which is not necessarily a bad thing as you'll find tonnes of resources, guides, and help on those subjects anywhere. However, History HL seems to be one of the hardest subjects to get a 7 in based on pure statistics alone from the DP May 2015 Stats Bulletin, as well the very low grade boundaries for the subject, indicating a significant degree of difficulty. Don't get discouraged by this though, there have been students whom have successfully obtained 7s in the past.  

Everything else looks fine though, Ab Initio/Language B subjects are relatively easy if you already have prior exposure to the language, SL English Langlit is much less demanding than HL in terms of workload & criteria requirements, and Economics isn't hard at all.

Edited by IB`ez
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Like nearly everyone says, Physics is a tough one, but you know this.

I can only provide my experience for HL History. I am entering its second year, and personally it's very difficult. It could be because history is my weakest subject (actually it probably is because of that), but I'm sure you will do fine.

As long as you keep up with your work you will do fine.

Best of luck!

• Like 1