Are You In Any Clubs/Sports?

iiimee

Hey guys, so I was wondering...

Are/Were any of you people in clubs, sports, or on any sort of teams in or outside of school during your IB years? Of course, you're also free to talk about what you're in now, but the main topic is really about your pre-IB and IB years.

I'm not in school yet, but I've been considering several different clubs and teams. My school has a wrestling team, which I think would be fun, though I'm not the strongest so I'm a little unsure of if I should join... I'm taking Advanced Japanese for the next two years, so I could participate in the Japanese Club, which instead of teaching you more of the language focuses around the various cultural differences and traditions in Japan... Seems like fun... Oh, or maybe I should join the GSA? I'm not too into that idea, but it'd be fun knowing who else is transgender at my school... For those of you who don't know, GSA usually stands for "Gay Straight Alliance", but at my school they've changed it to "Gender Sexuality Alliance". X_X Anyway, that's just one of the many possibilities for me. So... What about you guys?

When I was in IB my main sport was martial arts, and I did a lot of volunteering at a local aquarium/science museum.I also had a part-time job during my first year of IB, but I left after nearly a year for personal reasons. 

I'd say nearly everyone who did IB at my school was in some sort of activity, whether it was through school or externally. In fact, you'd have a hard time finding someone who only went to school and did nothing else; universities basically require you to have some sort of extracurriculars so you might as well do something.

Nowadays I play ultimate frisbee, bicycle, and I cross-stitch when I'm not at school or work.

5 minutes ago, Emmi said:

When I was in IB my main sport was martial arts, and I did a lot of volunteering at a local aquarium/science museum.I also had a part-time job during my first year of IB, but I left after nearly a year for personal reasons. 

I'd say nearly everyone who did IB at my school was in some sort of activity, whether it was through school or externally. In fact, you'd have a hard time finding someone who only went to school and did nothing else; universities basically require you to have some sort of extracurriculars so you might as well do something.

Nowadays I play ultimate frisbee, bicycle, and I cross-stitch when I'm not at school or work.

Ah, that's cool... My school has a Brony club, so I have a sneaking suspicion that's what most of the students at the school will do as their extracurricular. X_X

I am a member of a few honor societies - National Honor Society and National Spanish Honor Society. With these came the obligation of community service hours and monthly meetings. 

While in high school I spent quite a bit of time volunteering for a community theatre. It was mostly technical stuff, building sets ans hanging lights. 

School wise, I was a part of my school's choir program for 7 of 8 semesters, and band for 4 of 8 semesters. I dabbled a bit in theatre. I was also a member of school's history club, serving as president when I was a senior.

I heard that universitites really require you to do a lot of things externally to see that you're not only devoted to school. I do scouting which is in the same time my big passion, also dancing at school and pole dance externally; i take additional german and english classes too; i try to work voluntary wherever i can, it's always good to wrote about it later for example in your Personal Statement. I used also to play in theatre and during this holidays i take part in so called "business week" in my city. It's good to have some activities which relate to the course which you're planning to study :)

Edited by mamrysia

I joined my school's archery team and the concert band. I also was on the financial council that helped budget for school events.

I also kept a job through all 4 years of high school at a local small business. I now manage the day-to-day operations there. I then got a job as a camp counselor during the summers.

Every so often I did community events, such as campaigning in municipal elections or cancer awareness events.

I definitely recommend joining clubs. The university program that I got into ONLY accepts people with extra curriculars and high grades