IB Physics HL or History HL

Janebnd

I am starting the the IB in the fall and right now I have to make final decisions. I am for sure taking HL math, HL economics, SL french and SL english language and literature. I also want to take Physics and History, however I'm not sure which one to do at HL and SL, since I really enjoy both subject. I am still uncertain as to what I want to chose as a career path.

Well start with a general idea about your career path - is it math/science/engineering or humanities/arts/business?

You could also think about whether you want to have both HL Math and HL Physics. This will be a lot of work but the courses have a lot in common (such as learning style)

HL History is a lot of essay writing and HL Physics is a lot of formulas. What do you like focusing more on, since you will be doing it for a while.

It's really tough call to say whether HL Physics or HL History is the harder course. There hasn't been exams yet for the newest 2017 History syllabus and May 2016 results haven't been released for the also new 2016 Physics syllabus. I would assume HL Math goes well with HL Physics, but I do know people who take HL Math, HL History and SL Physics. 

Arguably HL Math / HL History is the harder combination but it's one that would satisfy almost every single admission requirement. HL Math / HL Physics / HL Econ would also satisfy most but not all admission requirement and is in my opinion, the more manageable choice. Keep in mind that History is not memorizing facts but rather making arguments, and I am not quite sure if writing is your forte as you are taking SL Lang/Lit.. That being said, you don't really need HL Math for HL Physics but being good at math and algebra helps in physics. 

• Like 1

History HL requires a lot of work but it's a really nice subject because, as it was said, it focuses mostly on the ability of interpreting facts and forming arguments. It's really interesting but together with Maths it may be really hard to manage. If I were you, I guess I would stick with Physics HL and History SL.

Edited by mamrysia