Maths SL IA

s_merali21

Hi to all, I need abit of help with my Maths IA. I am doing mine on the game carrom. First i had thought of finding 3 different angles or positions to score a carrom men using a striker. I am not sure if this sounds good or if it will be a good IA or not. So if u guys could provide your views on this it would be much appreciated. Second idea was to analyze the whole game and find three difficult positions to score and form triangles and use trig to find angles once i find the distance in cm. I could then use cosine or sine rule, pythogoras theorem or SOH CAH TOA to find the angle to hit the striker at. I then thought of using calculus to find the rate at which carrom men should move to cover a specific distance i.e basically speed. But to find s(t) i will require an equation such as f(x)=x^2+3x^2 but how would i find it. So if u guys could provide a hint or an idea of what values i could use to form the equation and maybe how. Also do you guys think the topics i listed are enough or not and if not sufficient then could u list some other topics i could use and how.

But all in all is carrom good to go or shall i find another topic for my IA?

Without really seeing a detailed plan, nobody can say that carrom is good to go.
The trig probably won't be enough for SL but you are right, some calculus should do. 
The speed of the carrom men are determined by physics, namely the kinetic energy comes from the force you apply and how far you applied the force. Calculations are not necessary if you can set up a motion sensor, such as one by Vernier. The tool also takes derivatives and integration.

Thnx for your response. Ok so you are saying that i should find the force but it wont be possible for me to purchase the motion sensor so any other idea to find the force. I can find the mass but what about the acceleration and velocity?

Any other idea of what i could do with carrom?

See if your school has the equipment. Another way would be to take a video and convert pixels to meters. Make sure the motions are in the plane of camera. Sorry others can't help you with coming up with ideas. I played carrom before and I think it's an interesting topic.

It's more physics than math, so make sure you follow the criteria.