History EE: Translation of Sources

I'm gathering up primary sources right now and some of them are entirely in Russian with no available translation that I know of. How do I work around this? The information is potentially very useful as it is close to Stalin's death and my EE is on Leadership during the Cold War (not exactly, but that's essentially what it is). I have a Ukrainian friend who speaks Russian, but I don't expect her to translate the whole thing. Also, wouldn't I need to cite a credible translator or something?

On 6/9/2016 at 5:25 AM, SleepDeprivationHL said:

I'm gathering up primary sources right now and some of them are entirely in Russian with no available translation that I know of. How do I work around this? The information is potentially very useful as it is close to Stalin's death and my EE is on Leadership during the Cold War (not exactly, but that's essentially what it is). I have a Ukrainian friend who speaks Russian, but I don't expect her to translate the whole thing. Also, wouldn't I need to cite a credible translator or something?

Is there a way you can find someone that speaks Russian that could translate them for you? That's going to be the best option, the most credible way at least. 

Ideally, a "professional translation" is best, but anyone who speaks the language is just fine. The only thing I would advise against is using google translate on your own. Google translate is not a credible translator. You probably could get away with someone that speaks the language verifying a google translated copy and citing the people that verified it. (Probably would need to check with your adviser on something like this, it seems kind of like a grey area.)

• Like 1