IB help? Why am I doing SO BAD????

Kroinky

Guest beyondtheimagine
1 minute ago, Elite X-Naut said:

Whoa that's pretty bad...are you still staying in the program then? Sounds like you're going to have to self-teach a lot of things.

Yes I'm staying the program just because of the amount of work and effort I have invested into this program.

Though, I am not planning to apply with any of my IB marks, well maybe with my IB chemistry mark.. depends on how well I do...

Yes I have a lot of self-teaching to do. But it's manageable (I think) XD 

1 minute ago, beyondtheimagine said:

Yes I'm staying the program just because of the amount of work and effort I have invested into this program.

Though, I am not planning to apply with any of my IB marks, well maybe with my IB chemistry mark.. depends on how well I do...

Yes I have a lot of self-teaching to do. But it's manageable (I think) XD 

If you take HL Chem, you have to self teach the Medicine and Drugs Option in most schools, since no teacher teaches that for some reason. 

Guest beyondtheimagine
34 minutes ago, Kroinky said:

If you take HL Chem, you have to self teach the Medicine and Drugs Option in most schools, since no teacher teaches that for some reason. 

That's weird.

I did Medicine and Drugs as my option, and it was wasn't too bad .

24 minutes ago, beyondtheimagine said:

That's weird.

I did Medicine and Drugs as my option, and it was wasn't too bad .

1 hour ago, Elite X-Naut said:

Whoa that's pretty bad...are you still staying in the program then? Sounds like you're going to have to self-teach a lot of things.

Man I feel so unmotivated after these exams. A 65 in bio drops my bio average to 70, which for me is bad, even if there's an Ontario conversion (which isn't even applied) ; and a chem exam that I probably failed completely. It hurts and sucks. My two favorite most important subjects are at the very bottom of my report card, I'd say a solid 15% difference in averages from bio/chem to my next lowest average... :/ Thanks IB :(

Guest beyondtheimagine
34 minutes ago, Kroinky said:

Man I feel so unmotivated after these exams. A 65 in bio drops my bio average to 70, which for me is bad, even if there's an Ontario conversion (which isn't even applied) ; and a chem exam that I probably failed completely. It hurts and sucks. My two favorite most important subjects are at the very bottom of my report card, I'd say a solid 15% difference in averages from bio/chem to my next lowest average... :/ Thanks IB :(

//pats

My only suggestion left is to drop IB :/

I can completely relate to your situation the only difference is that I no longer care about my IB marks.. Well I do but to an extent. I have learned that I have that I have to do well in either IB or Alberta. Thus, I chose Alberta over IB. But don't get me wrong that doesn't mean that I am not putting a lot of effort into IB, I'm just not heartbroken anymore because of my IB grades....

I know it hurts .. :( 

2 hours ago, beyondtheimagine said:

//pats

My only suggestion left is to drop IB :/

I can completely relate to your situation the only difference is that I no longer care about my IB marks.. Well I do but to an extent. I have learned that I have that I have to do well in either IB or Alberta. Thus, I chose Alberta over IB. But don't get me wrong that doesn't mean that I am not putting a lot of effort into IB, I'm just not heartbroken anymore because of my IB grades....

I know it hurts .. :( 

Now that I'm dropping IB completely, I need to still maintain an average of above 85, which is still tough. My parents don't want me to do any sports or do any ECs (Extra curricular). I used to do 2-3 sports a year :(

I have 60+ hours in volunteering though lmao :)

No ECs??? Ontario universities are the type that will reject you even if you had a 90% average and no ECs. They care a lot about what you do outside of academics, so not doing any will really hinder your chances. If you're dropping completely I'm sure you'd have enough time to participate in ECs and clubs and still do well in school.

Guest beyondtheimagine
15 minutes ago, Kroinky said:

Now that I'm dropping IB completely, I need to still maintain an average of above 85, which is still tough. My parents don't want me to do any sports or do any ECs (Extra curricular). I used to do 2-3 sports a year :(

I have 60+ hours in volunteering though lmao :)

Yikes! D:  

If you need any help with any of your Ontario subjects, just PM me :) (I'm pretty sure that Ontario's curriculum isn't that different from Alberta's curriculum) 

I wish you the best of luck!!! :) 

10 minutes ago, Elite X-Naut said:

No ECs??? Ontario universities are the type that will reject you even if you had a 90% average and no ECs. They care a lot about what you do outside of academics, so not doing any will really hinder your chances. If you're dropping completely I'm sure you'd have enough time to participate in ECs and clubs and still do well in school.

I agree with Elite X-Naut! You'll have enough time to participate in EC's and clubs and maintain a high average! Don't worry about it :) 

1 hour ago, beyondtheimagine said:

Yikes! D:  

If you need any help with any of your Ontario subjects, just PM me :) (I'm pretty sure that Ontario's curriculum isn't that different from Alberta's curriculum) 

I wish you the best of luck!!! :) 

I agree with Elite X-Naut! You'll have enough time to participate in EC's and clubs and maintain a high average! Don't worry about it :) 

Yeah I'll do some ECs hopefully. But I don't think I need any, unless Universities SPECIFICALLY look at grade 12 ECs? My total credits in the last 3 years outside of school have been insanely good. (Clubs, 4-5 sports, music bands). 

Well you're going to be writing about it in your university application and some schools like in the US could interview you. It would be sort of awkward saying you last did things in grade 11, but if you're dropping, you can definitely afford time for it. Besides, enjoy your ECs! They're worth a lot more than just something to put on your application.

39 minutes ago, Elite X-Naut said:

Well you're going to be writing about it in your university application and some schools like in the US could interview you. It would be sort of awkward saying you last did things in grade 11, but if you're dropping, you can definitely afford time for it. Besides, enjoy your ECs! They're worth a lot more than just something to put on your application.

I'm staying in Ontario. In fact, I've already decided that I want to go to Ottawa U. My advisor says that they "sometimes" look at your ECs, but it's not a huge deal, especially since I have a good amount of volunteer hours and I play soccer. swimming, and track and field OUTSIDE of school. I also do a lot of music and I even tutor, so that should still be considered an EC no? 

On 6/14/2016 at 1:49 PM, VeronicaG said:

U of Ottawa doesn't check ECs. I also applied to Ottawa and I was accepted just on my marks (I ended up at a different university though). What program are you thinking about there?

Well I haven't decided yet. I have three choices as of now. 

1. BioMedical Sciences (85%+) 

2. Human Kinetics (80%- 85%) 

3. Health Sciences (83% - 85%) 

My school offers a Kinesiology course in Grade 12, which is unique. A LOT of graduates went into Kinesiology / Human Kinetics because of this, since they will basically be ahead of everyone by a great amount. 

Any opinions on the courses above ? I want to go to Med School after undergrad so which course will prepare me the best and will give me the highest chance? 

Also, when do you actually apply to university, and when do you generally get accepted? I heard about early accptance where they look at your average in grade 11. My average in grade 11 was 86%, but my bio and chem mark (IB) isn't so great... (low/ mid 70s). 

21 minutes ago, Kroinky said:

Well I haven't decided yet. I have three choices as of now. 

1. BioMedical Sciences (85%+) 

2. Human Kinetics (80%- 85%) 

3. Health Sciences (83% - 85%) 

My school offers a Kinesiology course in Grade 12, which is unique. A LOT of graduates went into Kinesiology / Human Kinetics because of this, since they will basically be ahead of everyone by a great amount. 

Any opinions on the courses above ? I want to go to Med School after undergrad so which course will prepare me the best and will give me the highest chance? 

Also, when do you actually apply to university, and when do you generally get accepted? I heard about early accptance where they look at your average in grade 11. My average in grade 11 was 86%, but my bio and chem mark (IB) isn't so great... (low/ mid 70s). 

All the programs above are very similar. You can get into med school with any of them.

HOWEVER med school in Canada is VERY hard to get into. You should definitely have a back-up plan. Most health science/biomed science degrees aren't employable with an undergrad degree. Look into other professional schools.

Kinesiology has promise. There are so many cool jobs associated with the degree (chiropractor, physiotherapist, rehabilitation). If you are interested in it, pursue it!

Application begins in November/December which is when you can log on to OUAC. You pick the programs you want and pay the fee. There are generally 3 rounds:

Round 1: Acceptances come out between November and December. This is based only on Grade 11 marks. Most people don't get in this round, which is totally ok.

Round 2: February and March acceptances. This is based on Grade 11 marks and Grade 12 semester 1 marks (or IB predicted). Again, these offers are rare.

Round 3: April/May or the 'general' acceptances. Most people get an offer in these months and it is only based on Grade 12 marks (semester 1 marks and semester 2 midterms)

The last day to receive an offer is May 28. You accept your program by clicking 'accept' in OUAC before June 1. Then, your chosen university will email you the next instructions.

Edited by VeronicaG

On 6/19/2016 at 8:55 PM, VeronicaG said:

All the programs above are very similar. You can get into med school with any of them.

HOWEVER med school in Canada is VERY hard to get into. You should definitely have a back-up plan. Most health science/biomed science degrees aren't employable with an undergrad degree. Look into other professional schools.

Kinesiology has promise. There are so many cool jobs associated with the degree (chiropractor, physiotherapist, rehabilitation). If you are interested in it, pursue it!

Application begins in November/December which is when you can log on to OUAC. You pick the programs you want and pay the fee. There are generally 3 rounds:

Round 1: Acceptances come out between November and December. This is based only on Grade 11 marks. Most people don't get in this round, which is totally ok.

Round 2: February and March acceptances. This is based on Grade 11 marks and Grade 12 semester 1 marks (or IB predicted). Again, these offers are rare.

Round 3: April/May or the 'general' acceptances. Most people get an offer in these months and it is only based on Grade 12 marks (semester 1 marks and semester 2 midterms)

The last day to receive an offer is May 28. You accept your program by clicking 'accept' in OUAC before June 1. Then, your chosen university will email you the next instructions.

Hey Veronica,

Thanks for the reply. I think our school gets round 2 offers because we run by terms, and not semesters. By March, we'll have 2 report cards out, or at the very least, our mid terms done and term 1 marks completed. 

I'm just totally confused because a lot of people get accepted in February and March and teachers always remind them to not slack off. It's rare to get early acceptance, but isn't round 2 usually the general acceptance for term school. ? 

And I know Kinesiology is super cool and all, but it doesn't prepare me for the MCAT as well as it does for BioMed. Canada is hard when it comes down to Med School and at the end of the day, my second option is to become a Bio teacher or scientist / researcher. 4 years of both Kinesiology and BioMed would give me a Bachelor of Science, but BioMed could offer me more in the research, teacher pathway. 

I KNOW I can make it into Kinesiology at Ottawa U, my average in grade 11 was 86% and there required is 80-85%, so I may even get a round 2 offer quite easily compared to BioMed which requires an 84-88 average. 

I'm staying away from Health Science, I don't want to learn about the social aspects of Health and I'm totally screwed if I don't get into Med School with a HSc degree. 

Thoughts? 

All schools are eligible for all rounds of offers. And by terms, do you mean you study courses for 4 months, then study another set of courses? Or do you study all your Grade 12 courses at the same time? Regardless, you can expect an offer during any round, and no school has a 'general' round in February/march.

Teachers tell kids not to slack off because early offers are conditional. You need to maintain a certain average to keep your acceptance or they take it away. A lot of people think they don't have to try after getting an offer, and sometimes their offer gets revoked because they were too lazy.

If you like the BioMed courses and you like how they prepare you for Med school or teachers college, then take it! It seems you're the most passionate about it and passion can help you get better marks. Being a teacher/researcher is a pretty good backup plan, although for teachers you might end up outside of Ontario for a few years (theres too many here). However it can be a great chance to explore the world and travel.

Your marks are pretty good, but you may still get an offer in the May round. Don't worry if you do since it's no big deal. The admission averages tend to rise every year, but an 86% is a solid average and you should be fine.

6 hours ago, VeronicaG said:

All schools are eligible for all rounds of offers. And by terms, do you mean you study courses for 4 months, then study another set of courses? Or do you study all your Grade 12 courses at the same time? Regardless, you can expect an offer during any round, and no school has a 'general' round in February/march.

Teachers tell kids not to slack off because early offers are conditional. You need to maintain a certain average to keep your acceptance or they take it away. A lot of people think they don't have to try after getting an offer, and sometimes their offer gets revoked because they were too lazy.

If you like the BioMed courses and you like how they prepare you for Med school or teachers college, then take it! It seems you're the most passionate about it and passion can help you get better marks. Being a teacher/researcher is a pretty good backup plan, although for teachers you might end up outside of Ontario for a few years (theres too many here). However it can be a great chance to explore the world and travel.

Your marks are pretty good, but you may still get an offer in the May round. Don't worry if you do since it's no big deal. The admission averages tend to rise every year, but an 86% is a solid average and you should be fine.

Yeah we study all 8-9 courses at once, there's no sets. I'm fortunate enough to go to a prestigious private school my whole entire life. 

But thank you so much for your help. 

As for the IB (which we're suppose to talk about on this site lol), I spoke with my advisor this week and she said that if my marks have dropped in the IB, it's better to consider switching to the regular classes next year. Even though it prepares me well for university (which I really really want as well), I need to face the present and try and get into university first and not struggle to borderline pass the IB. She said that the IB might not be for me, and that my 55 in the final exam in chem and 65 in bio showed that it may be a lack of effort, but that's totally not true. They are my favourite subjects (well maybe not chem lol). So she concluded that the IB just doesn't work for me. 

Still managed an 86% overall average somehow... lmao

Hi guys,

I know this is a little late, but I just wanted to add my two cents on whether people should stay in IB or not:

- IB offers you the chance to gain valuable skills, such as time management skills, which will make life in university easier for you. However, it's not impossible to gain these skills outside of IB. IB simply provides you with an opportunity to learn to manage a large workload. You'll have a workload regardless of where you are, so it is definitely possible to gain these essential skills in a regular provincial program.

- IB also offers you a chance to learn university content ahead of time, which is great! :) However, this is never a requirement. This is what my IB coordinator said: No university professor will attempt to identify and separate the IB students from the non - IB students. They don't care that you've learned what they're teaching already, they need to accommodate those who have not learned ahead of time. You are capable of getting through university without an IB background.

I think IB offers an advantage because it wakes you up to the realities of post-secondary education: heavy workloads, difficult subjects, etc. There's no doubt IB is a great program and that you'd be well - prepared. However, you'll do just as great in university without it! If you think leaving the IB is where you'll find the advantage, then that's the way to go! :) 

I wish you well in your academic pursuits!