What calculator should I buy?

BananaWaffle

Any IB-approved calculator will be good for SL Maths. However, it might be a good idea to ask your school which one your teacher is familiar with e.g. if they're using Casio, they might find it hard to help you with your TI. 

Here's the list of calculators that are permitted and prohibited for IB examinations. Like Gaby said, I'd ask your teacher which calculator they will be using to teach the course before buying.

Personally, there's no need to buy a Ti-84 Plus when a Ti-83 is sufficient. There's not much of a difference in the processing speed and I don't think it being colourful justifies the price. The only time I found a Ti-84 to be handy was when I can't use logs with different bases on my calculator.

haha, we actually use the ti-nspire cx at our school - I didn't realise that wasn't the norm. But, yeah, definitely check out what your school uses - I have a friend who uses a ti-84 in class, but since we use a different calculator, it tends to slow them down a bit.

I'm going to be anomaly (as I am at my school) and recommend the Casio FX-9860GII. It's a fantastic calculator, easy to use, cheaper than TI... honestly, I love it. Yes, it's a little difficult when your school uses another one, but there are plenty of resources online to help you use it instead. #notsponsored