Changing EE?

tigryonak

So I chose to do an extended essay in English last year (junior year; it was more preparation stuff, I haven't officially started yet), but I don't really like English that much. I think it can be interesting and my WIT paper got me a 97 on the first draft so I know I CAN do it. It's just a matter of motivation for it. I had a great advisor for my EE, but she's moving to Turkey (or at least that's what she said) and I'll have to find a new advisor. Would it be better to just switch to something I find more interesting, like history or biology? I have a great history teacher, but she already has 4 students she's working with. The IB coordinator also teaches history and I like him too. I also like my biology teacher, but I know it can be a lot easier to research and write 4000 words on history than on biology.

• 4 weeks later...

Honestly, if you don't like English, don't go for EE in English. 4000 words can be easy to write but surprisingly it is not all that easy to get an A for them. Also, it is much easier to organise the structure of your EE when writing in Biology or History -- I know how artificially I broke down my English EE into sections at a very clear demand from my supervisor. Besides, it can be just lots of interpretation and textual analysis and few facts so if you prefer to stick to facts, swap it for something else. 

@lovinpeople Thanks, I think I'm going to talk to my history teacher and biology teacher, list some ideas I think of (and they approve of), and work from there.

You have up to November of this year to change your subject without paying additional fees to IB. The topic should also be a topic you roughly know and are comfortable with. Ultimately interests and passion alone will not get you good marks :P