swl

Hello, I just have a quick question about the extended EE. For my EE, I plan to test the effect of chinese herbal medicine on the growth of bacteria Staphylococcus aureus, streptococcus pneumoniae or haemophilus influenzae. Apparently, it is not advisable to use  bacteria cultures due to IB's rules about experimenting on microorganisms. Should I still continue with experimenting on these bacteria? I am really not sure what the requirements and rules of the EE are, I really don't know much about the Biology EE as we just started planning it out. If you guys could help me out that would be great!! Thank you in advance. 

• 3 weeks later...

I'm doing the same with South Asian herbs! My advisor told me that IB doesn't allow bacteria from "inside" the human body (ex. mouth, nose, etc.) since it poses as a biohazard. But, I did my experiment based on bacteria I got from someone's hands — got the bacteria gram-tested and I got gram positive staph. aureus! It's a skin bacteria that's very common to see. And it's even better getting it from the hands because many people get sick for unhygienic reasons — dirty hands. I say try out classifying bacteria on your hands through gram staining and see where it gets you! Good luck. 

ps. Do you guys have any other experiments to refer to based on this? I'd really appreciate it. I'm having trouble finding some research already done on this. 

Edited by IBSurvival1234

I'm doing the same with South Asian herbs! My advisor told me that IB doesn't allow bacteria from "inside" the human body (ex. mouth, nose, etc.) since it poses as a biohazard. But, I did my experiment based on bacteria I got from someone's hands — got the bacteria gram-tested and I got gram positive staph. aureus! It's a skin bacteria that's very common to see. And it's even better getting it from the hands because many people get sick for unhygienic reasons — dirty hands. I say try out classifying bacteria on your hands through gram staining and see where it gets you! Good luck. 

ps. Do you guys have any other experiments to refer to based on this? I'd really appreciate it. I'm having trouble finding some research already done on this. 

Thats a good idea. How did your experiment go and did your superviser think it would score pretty high? Im still contemplating whether I should switch to a Chemistry EE. Really confused!

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/15/2016 at 11:20 AM, swl said:

Hello, I just have a quick question about the extended EE. For my EE, I plan to test the effect of chinese herbal medicine on the growth of bacteria Staphylococcus aureus, streptococcus pneumoniae or haemophilus influenzae. Apparently, it is not advisable to use  bacteria cultures due to IB's rules about experimenting on microorganisms. Should I still continue with experimenting on these bacteria? I am really not sure what the requirements and rules of the EE are, I really don't know much about the Biology EE as we just started planning it out. If you guys could help me out that would be great!! Thank you in advance. 

hey its a bit late sorry bought that!!

But in my school for my EE I am also going to be using microorganisms.

according to what my school says, as long as the microorganism is not pathogenic it is fine to use