Extended Essay

Jrendini

Hello, 

I would love to get advice. I am confused on what exactly to do for my Extended Essay which will be based on English B under Culture and Society. I have two ideas. One would be looking at to what extent has the Tanzanian media shaped the way albinos are viewed while the other idea is to look at to what extent does the media influence perceptions towards blacks in America. As well as advice on what direction would I need to take to answer my question. 

Hi, If you are studying English B, then you must focus your EE topic on English-speaking cultures. You can check if Tanzania is eligible as one of the English-speaking countries (India certainly is), in which case both topics would work. The second may prove problematic because you will have to decide how to determine "to what extent media influences...". How will you determine this? What are the variables?

• Like 1

I spoke to one of my teachers and I will be focusing more on Albinos and I will certainly investigate how newspapers have been able to educate Tanzanian citizens about albinos which has changed the way we perceive albinos. As well as, looking at a pattern of cultural superstitions regarding albinos through newspapers. Is there any advice you'd like to give me? Thanks

It would be simpler and more straightforward for you, it seems to me, if you just concentrate on *how* albinos are portrayed (and if you want, to take a examine how these representations have changed over time i.e. a longitudinal study), but making sure your study is squarely on the (linguistic and visual) "portrayal" and "representation", not the historical process. You could then offer an interesting account later in your EE on the whys and wherefores.

• Like 1