Business and management SL or HL

faisal17

hello, i am going to take the IB diploma program next year. My school forces me to choose 1 humanity subject, so i choosed business and management since it is the easier choice for me. i dont really need B&M as i am going to take civil engineering for the future. My question is shall i take B&M SL or HL, i want the one that would raise my school GPA more. so is there a big difference between the two or just few differences.

i want to choose the one that would raise my GPA as i heard that HL subjects raise your GPA more than SL, but if it is really harder in terms of B&M then no, since i dont need it for my future; just for my GPA. My writing skills are OK!!

Hey! Business and Management is considered one of the easier HL courses. Although you still need to put in the effort to get a 6 or 7, the content is not overly difficult. 

I don't really think it matters if you take B&M at HL or SL, but make sure you have HL Physics and HL Maths (and some universities require IB Chemistry, even for civil engineering). Physics and Math at HL are really hard, so your 3rd HL course should be something you find easy (whether that be a second language or B&M). However, if the university you want requires HL Chem for civil engineering, then take Chem,

Another way of thinking about it is that SL B&M will be easier than the HL version. It will take less time to study for it, so you can focus on you harder courses.

What other courses are you thinking of taking?

22 minutes ago, VeronicaG said:

Hey! Business and Management is considered one of the easier HL courses. Although you still need to put in the effort to get a 6 or 7, the content is not overly difficult. 

I don't really think it matters if you take B&M at HL or SL, but make sure you have HL Physics and HL Maths (and some universities require IB Chemistry, even for civil engineering). Physics and Math at HL are really hard, so your 3rd HL course should be something you find easy (whether that be a second language or B&M). However, if the university you want requires HL Chem for civil engineering, then take Chem,

Another way of thinking about it is that SL B&M will be easier than the HL version. It will take less time to study for it, so you can focus on you harder courses.

What other courses are you thinking of taking?

i am taking:

English BHL, Arabic AHL , math SL ,b&m SL or HL , physics SL or HL , chem SL

the university i am applying to doesn't really care about HL or SL as long as i am taking math and physics for engineering. all what they care about is my GPA, so for that reason you can see that my languages are HL, since i can score higher in them rather than math or chemistry. so for b&m which one will raise my gpa more SL or HL and how difficult HL is from SL

3 minutes ago, faisal17 said:

i am taking:

English BHL, Arabic AHL , math SL ,b&m SL or HL , physics SL or HL , chem SL

the university i am applying to doesn't really care about HL or SL as long as i am taking math and physics for engineering. all what they care about is my GPA, so for that reason you can see that my languages are HL, since i can score higher in them rather than math or chemistry. so for b&m which one will raise my gpa more SL or HL and how difficult HL is from SL

In that case, I'd take B&M at HL and Physics at SL. If you FOR SURE know that the university doesn't care if math and physics are at SL, then take both at SL. This combination should get you the highest GPA, but of course it always depends on work ethic and studying.

1 minute ago, VeronicaG said:

In that case, I'd take B&M at HL and Physics at SL. If you FOR SURE know that the university doesn't care if math and physics are at SL, then take both at SL. This combination should get you the highest GPA, but of course it always depends on work ethic and studying.

but i am really good at math and physics. i think that i will get A* on both for my igcse. Math HL is not taught in our school because usually no one picks it, however, we do have physics HL. so i may take 4 HL's english, arabic, phyics, business just to raise my GPA what do u think?

1 minute ago, faisal17 said:

but i am really good at math and physics. i think that i will get A* on both for my igcse. Math HL is not taught in our school because usually no one picks it, however, we do have physics HL. so i may take 4 HL's english, arabic, phyics, business just to raise my GPA what do u think?

Taking 4 HLs is not a good idea. It is INSANELY HARD because of all the material you would have to cover. Your GPA will probably fall if you do that. The reason I picked Math and Physics SL is because you could easily get a level 7 in both.

Another option is to take HL Physics and SL B&M. This is also a decent schedule and you could still get a high GPA. However HL Physics is one of the hardest IB courses, so be prepared to do a LOT of work just to try and get a 7. 

6 hours ago, TheTroll73 said:

I think business and management is considered a weaker subject. What about choosing economics instead (same thing, just from a different perspective)? 

I recommend choosing the subjects you need for uni as HL so therefore business stays SL.

Good luck :]

i dont really like economics

the university im applying to doesn't really care about HL or SL as far as my GPA is high..

Guest SNJERIN
15 hours ago, TheTroll73 said:

I think business and management is considered a weaker subject. What about choosing economics instead (same thing, just from a different perspective)? 

Is this your opinion or a fact, because if it is your own opinion then nobody would really care about what you think, since you haven't even taken the course. On the other hand, if its a fact I would really like you to give me a reference from a university that says B&M is a "weak" subject. 

I took B&M SL and did not have a single problem with my application to university, so please do not spread such nonsense.