I would be eternally grateful...*e-cookies*

doesntmatterwhy

Hey all.
If you're doing Psych please please please help me. Especially graduates and Y2.
Anyway, I've got to write two essays in a week. This would be somewhat remotely doable if I understand the question.

This is regarding the Psychodynamic Perspective..
Essay #1 - Examine ways in which two psychodynamic theories explain the development of personality..

Essay #2 - A] Decribe how pyschological research from psychodynamic psychology has been applied
B] Evaluate the application of psychological research from Part A.

In other words, I'm screwed.
Five days to write papers I'm completly lost about.... Gahhh.
This is our midterm homework for Psych, btw.
Two essays, yeah. No biggie. *sarcasm*

I've just started IB, but luckily for you I have completed my Psychodynamic option. This is what I suggest...

[b]Essay #1 - Examine ways in which two psychodynamic theories explain the development of personality[/b]-Okay so I think there are two different psychodynamic theories that explain the development of personality. One is Freud's, which is divided in psychosexual phases, and the other one is Erikson's psychosocial stages. You must mention how in psychodynamism childhood plays a very important part in the development of the personality, and I guess you can also talk about the events occurred in your life that stay in your unconcsious and come out "desguised" outside blah blah blah...and then go on about Freuds model of personality. The thing is, Freud has a psychodynamic model of personality (the tripartite thingie: ego superego id) but then, you have to talk about DEVELOPMENT, right. So there are two options:
a. talking about freud's theory of development and erikison's too...comparing and contrasting them
b. talking about freud's model of personality and then compare it to, say, Jung's model of personality

[b]Essay #2 - A] Decribe how pyschological research from psychodynamic psychology has been applied
B] Evaluate the application of psychological research from Part A.[/b]
I think nowadays (not too sure, double check) psychotherapy is used for minor problems, and, as Freud's theory is rather vast and still has to be proven completely right (and at the same time, still has to be proven completely wrong...because his concepts were really broad) So you can talk about dream analysis, inkblot test and other projective tests (like the TAT)...

Hope this has helped you!

That dooooooes help a lot.

Will you clear a few more things up though? ^^

Essay #1 - I understand the question better, but how could I organize it into three main paragraphs without making it a linear essay?

Essay #2 - Research is basically case studies. Does this mean I include one case study only, or few from the same person [Freud] or few from various people?

Thank you a ton.

For essay 1 you're much better off using Bowlby's Attachment Theory since there is more empirical evidence: Harlow's Monkeys, 44 Thieves (Bowlby 1944 I think), The Strange Situation (Ainsworth) and cross cultural strange situation (Van IJzendoorn and Kroonenberg 1988). However this is probably way too much since you have to include two theories. Your best bet is to use Little Hans by Freud in addition to whichever studies aforementioned you wish to use.

For essay #1 we don't need to write about case studies, as the question suggest. We find aspects in each theory and compare them in body.

Anyhow, I'm done writing Essay 1.

Hopefully I'll start Essay #2 today, using either Little Hans...or the 44 thieves.
From what I've research Essay#2 is a 8pt question, similar to that in Paper 2. So, it'll probably be two short essays put together.

Thanks everyone ^^