Maths HL- How Hard?

sselinokcu

How hard is HL Math? 

I'm a good student and my teacher told me to definitely get HL, but I'm not exactly sure because people say it is too hard. I know it depends, but can you provide an insight into the hardships of the course? I know SL is too easy for me, and my school offers only HL and SL. My other subjects are HL English Lit, HL Economics, SL Biology, SL  and SL History.

Will I suffer?

Thanks 

Edited by sselinokcu

Sometimes people are overreacting when they talk about Math HL and they make it seem scarier than it really is. If your teacher recommended it and you want to take it then take it. It is definitely a challenging course (most IB courses are) but if you have a solid background in Math and are willing to study for it you won't have much of a problem.

• Like 2

As css already stated, your maths teacher knows you the most. Since you didn't tell us that much about yourself, we can't really predict how you will do in two years time when your exams are due. I know people who had A*s in GCSEs and didn't do well, and people who maybe were ok-ish at school/maths yet still managed to get a 6 because of the amount of hard work they put in. 

Maths is probably one of the most subjective subjects on this planet (say that 5 times quickly, haha). Everyone grasps the concepts at a different pace, and understands different concepts better than others. Your teacher and the option they/you choose also plays a huge role, as you might hate Statistics but love Calculus. That's why we can't really predict what's best for you, and you should ask those who know you the most - strangers on the Internet can't help you that much with such a personal thing.

• Like 1

I can give you insight about my math HL class. In my school, we have an amazing math teach which kind of dictates our success but ultimately it how much dedicate yourself to math and your interests for it. I would say that if you made it this far, hardwork can get you a minimum 6. The real difference maker is how much you are prepare for those IB question because they can be quite tricky. I would suggest you take look back at past papers and really do them. Textbook question are ok but to really strive for that 7, past exam paper and question bank if you have access to it. Personally, by doing the homework, I get the just of what IB wants and doing some ib questions really prepares be for the testes and I think that why I have a very high predicted score

Edited by LHS4IB