Please answer

swiftraptor

Hey, this might be a stupid question but my first year of ib just ended and i really messed up bad, i regret it but i wanna do the ib diploma, anyways my grades right now are

Chem HL : 3    Business HL: 4   BIO HL: 5

ENG SL: 6      Arabic SL: 7        Math SL: 3 and islamic studies A+

i really want an honest opinion the last month of school i tried my hardest to lift my grades up a bit so i can fix them next year and i did lift my eng from 5 to 6 and bio from 4 to 5 and all teachers said i am improving and i can do well next year but i want an honest opinion can i get a good predicted and fix everything by the time predicted grades and uni applications (to us and uk) are happening? not looking for 40+ obv cause its too late but anything above 32? 

thank you!!

Most people's marks in first year IB suck. My class all had really low marks (my friend had even lower than you) and all managed to boost their marks before predicted grades came out. 

I think the hardest part of IB was the pace. It's really fast and many students have a hard time adjusting. As you stay in the program longer, you get used to it more and can understand lessons better.

On the bright side, you actually boosted 2 of your grades! You have the potential to boost the rest, too, if you put in the necessary effort. You are probably really smart, so it's just a matter of organization. 

You are at a 28 right now and your bonus points haven't even been added yet. Doing an EE in Islamic Studies or Arabic will probably get you a B or an A which is a guaranteed extra point. Doing well in the TOK presentation and essay could get you another point. Now you're at 30.

To get a 32, I'd recommend focusing on Math and Business. Math is just practicing with the formulas, so you could get a 4 without needing to be a super genius at math. Business is about how well you write. Clarifying your answers or including more information could get you a 5.

HL Chem is hard, but try your best. If anything, make sure it doesn't fall, or you're in danger of failing. As for your other subjects, you seem to be doing really well.

Hope this helps :) don't give up just yet

• Like 1

14 hours ago, VeronicaG said:

Most people's marks in first year IB suck. My class all had really low marks (my friend had even lower than you) and all managed to boost their marks before predicted grades came out. 

I think the hardest part of IB was the pace. It's really fast and many students have a hard time adjusting. As you stay in the program longer, you get used to it more and can understand lessons better.

On the bright side, you actually boosted 2 of your grades! You have the potential to boost the rest, too, if you put in the necessary effort. You are probably really smart, so it's just a matter of organization. 

You are at a 28 right now and your bonus points haven't even been added yet. Doing an EE in Islamic Studies or Arabic will probably get you a B or an A which is a guaranteed extra point. Doing well in the TOK presentation and essay could get you another point. Now you're at 30.

To get a 32, I'd recommend focusing on Math and Business. Math is just practicing with the formulas, so you could get a 4 without needing to be a super genius at math. Business is about how well you write. Clarifying your answers or including more information could get you a 5.

HL Chem is hard, but try your best. If anything, make sure it doesn't fall, or you're in danger of failing. As for your other subjects, you seem to be doing really well.

Hope this helps :) don't give up just yet

appreciate the time you took into the post, my EE is on physic and i already finished my first draft so not worried about it, i was aiming to get BIO HL to a 7 cause i know i can i barely worked and turned it around, and Business and english to a 7, then raise math to a 4 or 5 and chem to a 4 or 5 hopefully it turns out well

thanks!

If you show your teachers that you're capable of getting higher grades before the application deadlines for the US and UK, there should be no problem in them predicting you higher grades.

• For Chemistry I found it very useful watching Richard Thornley videos and using the study guide to make notes. It's also important to use the syllabus when making notes. But it's mainly practice, practice, practice that helps. When you finish reviewing a chapter do as many IB questions on the topic that you can. If you can gain access to question banks that would be great or just ask your teacher if they have any topic related questions for you to do. 
  • Syllabus related notes should also help for Biology and Business.
  • For Business doing practice essays and asking your business teacher review them and give you feedback could help.
  • Maths is mainly just theory and application. Try checking out PatrickJMT's videos or Mitch Campell then do questions on the topic you review, there should be some in the maths textbook. 

As long as you show improvement and enthusiasm your teachers are more likely to predict you accordingly. 

Good luck!