History IA source help

Amy0501

Hi! I´m currently working on my history IA. Its on british women and their right to vote (1918). My teacher suggested using a primary source and I found a speech of Emmeline Pankhurst on women´s desire to get political rights. My school uses APA citation and I don't know how to cite this for C. Evaluation of sources. It is in  this book: https://books.google.com.pe/books?id=9EWOp_AgxfQC&pg=PA6&dq=freedom+or+death+emmeline+pankhurst+full+speech&hl=es&sa=X&redir_esc=y#v=onepage&q=freedom or death emmeline pankhurst full speech&f=false  but it also contains other speeches. So should I just mention it and focus on the speech?

Edited by Amy0501

For speeches, you are supposed to find authoritative sources, so you have to reference the book. It's fine if the book has other speeches but when referencing the speech, you need to use in-text citations.

For example:

Pankhurst said, "Female emancipation is not a minority issue" (Abbott, 2010)

I hope this helps and good luck!

• Like 1

You're using APA for History? Seriously? Uh.

Anyway, I just started with 'The Revolution Betrayed, published by Trotsky in exile in 1937, is his account of the Russian Revolution, its consequences and the state that it had become under Lenin and Stalin in the past 20 years' (i.e. mentioned the name of the book, the year, the author) and did in-text citations like Rosalina showed above. You should write about the speech, but cite the book it is in (look here).

Good luck!

On 6/21/2016 at 0:21 PM, Rosalina said:

For speeches, you are supposed to find authoritative sources, so you have to reference the book. It's fine if the book has other speeches but when referencing the speech, you need to use in-text citations.

For example:

Pankhurst said, "Female emancipation is not a minority issue" (Abbott, 2010)

I hope this helps and good luck!

thanks of the help!

On 6/22/2016 at 3:37 AM, ellie said:

You're using APA for History? Seriously? Uh.

Anyway, I just started with 'The Revolution Betrayed, published by Trotsky in exile in 1937, is his account of the Russian Revolution, its consequences and the state that it had become under Lenin and Stalin in the past 20 years' (i.e. mentioned the name of the book, the year, the author) and did in-text citations like Rosalina showed above. You should write about the speech, but cite the book it is in (look here).

Good luck!

Whats wrong with APA? Thanks for answering really helped!

3 hours ago, Amy0501 said:

You typically use Chicago/Turabian for citing you Historical IAs. Did your teacher tell you to use APA?

I'll try to check the rubric I have and see if it specifies a particular citation format.

4 hours ago, Amy0501 said:

Nothing is wrong with APA really. Chicago style is just the standard for history stuff. Chicago also allows you to do footnotes in you paper. 

As far as IB is concerned, they don't care what format you use for you citations. They just want it to be a standard form that addresses all the main aspects of a citation (author, title, date, etc.). You may find your teacher wants it in a specific citation style. In that case, do what they want it in.

• Like 1