"Reasoned Argument" Criterion

IB45_or_bust

I am writing a Physics EE, and I have been having some trouble with the "reasoned argument" criterion. For my EE, I conducted an experiment, and I am trying to find a correlation in my data. I don't really see how an argument fits in to experimental science EEs such as this. The data that I collected is objective, so I don't see where that leaves me any room to make an argument. Does anyone get what I am saying?

Hi I wrote a math EE.

The discussion of whether your data is objective can be saved for one of your Theory of Knowledge classes. Just because you claim your data is objective does not mean it speaks for itself: you have to justify your findings. "Argument" is an organized series of evidences and explanations that seeks to persuade or justify. "Reasoned" is the keyword, not "argument". To satisfy the criterion, you should clearly explain, at the minimum, how you reach your conclusion. You should account for all assumptions and explain why your interpretation of the data is accurate. In your specific case, you can evaluate the strength of your correlation. How do you know your line (curve) of best fit is accurate? How do you know if the data collected has no systematic errors? How can you justify the linear, quadratic, exponential, etc relationship exhibited? How do you know that it's linear and not quadratic?

Take for example, you made a survey for 5 consecutive months, asking if participates has eaten ice cream or worn sunglasses that day. You found that there are more people answering yes in July and August instead of June, September or October. Therefore you conclude that people who eat ice cream are more likely to wear sunglasses. this is not a well-reasoned argument, because the more obvious (and likely) explanation is that it's summer and people in general are more likely to do either things. 

Please feel free to PM me for additional questions.

• Like 1