Doing a low level of Spanish

Honestly, I never had an interest in Spanish in Middle School. I simply wanted to have fun and take the electives that interest me. Now I am doing Pre-Ib Spanish 1. My school only gives weighted credit for spanish levels 4-5 and any post secondary options after that. At the pathway I am going, I will only be able to go to IB Spanish 4 and get 1 weighted credit.

Though I am better than my friends Gpa wise, they are in Pre-IB spanish 3, meaning that they are 2 years ahead of me, and can get weighted credit by 10th grade. Is it still possible for me to skip a level (Ex: Going from Pre-Ib spanish 2 to IB spanish 4) or maybe take a summer course? If I do not do any of that, is it still possible for me to be in the top 5 percent of my class (want to go to a really good university or get a full ride to a private university)?

Thanks a bunch, it just stresses me out that I will be missing some weighted credit thanks to not doing any foreign language in Middle school.

Skipping a Spanish class/doing Spanish over the summer: That depends on your high school's policies. At my high school, students could take two lower level Spanish classes at once or take a summer course in order to get to Spanish 5 (SL at my school). 

In all honestly GPA is not the be all to end all for US universities. High GPAs help, but other factors can help a lower GPA stand out.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, IB_taking_over said:

Skipping a Spanish class/doing Spanish over the summer: That depends on your high school's policies. At my high school, students could take two lower level Spanish classes at once or take a summer course in order to get to Spanish 5 (SL at my school). 

In all honestly GPA is not the be all to end all for US universities. High GPAs help, but other factors can help a lower GPA stand out.

Actually, besides Spanish, I am in all the advanced classes possible in school. I guess missing 3 weighted credits is not really a big deal, but I would rather skip a Spanish level or do it over the summer than not reach to the highest level of Spanish and miss those potential weighted credits. It's much better to have a higher gpa than to have a lower gpa with some standing points. 

I think this year, I will take Pre ib Spanish 1 and take Spanish 2 over the summer (of next year). Especially with those really prestigious colleges that give such low acceptance rates, its better for me to take it safe and either skip a level or do courses over the summer so by the time I am a junior, I am in IB spanish 4. 

Class rank wise, I guess I will have to make sure that my grades are high so I can be in the top 2 percent of my school. I am glad to know that skipping a level in the IB is possible. Thanks.