Group 4 project

Anna Bibikova

Hi everyone,

I'm really confused on what the Group 4 project is...Are we supposed to do an experiment? Do we write a research paper? How many words do we have to write? Is it a presentation?

All the instructions are really vague, so I don't really understand what we're supposed to do.

Group 4 in general is really vague. I know it as 'a group project in science courses that try to understand a world problem' but I'm sure an admin on the site has a more detailed explanation.

My school did a movie project about biology being used to design products (solar panels, underwater robots, etc). We had an "Oscars" award ceremony and did a short reflection afterwards.

I know a lot of other schools did a group lab and wrote a report, which can help build skills for your IA. For example, one school had to create a food or a drink that can combat world hunger (high in nutrients, low in cost, easy to make/transport)

It's up to your science teachers and/or your IB coordinator to decide. Your school might have a specific approach that they like, or it could be open to interpretation.

6 hours ago, Anna Bibikova said:

Hi everyone,

I'm really confused on what the Group 4 project is...Are we supposed to do an experiment? Do we write a research paper? How many words do we have to write? Is it a presentation?

All the instructions are really vague, so I don't really understand what we're supposed to do.

G4 projects are school based projects for the science areas. Basically groups of different science students do a project together. At my school we went to a creek and did water quality testing. Each group, 12 total, had a different research question to answer. It was a fairly relaxed experiment to be honest. 

For chemistry we wrote a lab report. (Intro, data, conclusion.) I think the intro and conclusion were supposed to be about a page or two long. It's not a presentation unless your teacher makes you do one.

The IB sheet for the G4 project makes you write a 50 word summary. Other than that there's not much to the G4 projects.

Don't hesitate to ask more questions if you sill are unsure

• 7 months later...

Hey everyone ! 

So me and my group have to do a Group 4 project . The class has decided the umbrella topic as " Food " so my group needs a sub topic to work on. Could you guys please suggest a topic , I would really be greateful . I have to present it in a week and we still haven't come up with a topic which the teacher agrees. 

Thanks a lot :)