Music EE: Simon & Garfunkel's impacts on the 21st Century.

Sparkly Prince

My Extended Essay topic and subject, as stated in the title, is a Music EE, and the question at hand is: "To what extent did Simon & Garfunkel's musical style affect the way music would be written in the 21st century?"

The problem I have here is that I recently realized how paradoxical this is to my actual perception on music today. I don't see many impacts that this specific duo's done to the music scene today that others like the Beatles or otherwise have, because frankly, they didn't really do much in their own style that I find original. Like, maybe tone, but not much else. It's also too late for me to change my question in a way that transforms the essay itself, so I'm basically stuck with this thing that I don't know how to start and continue with. It's my fault for picking a band that didn't really innovate much on the genre the performed in, but I have to work with what I have now, and I obviously thought there was something to them when I originally made the topic and submitted it, so I'm posting this to get the gears spinning.

If I could see somebody else's Music EE attached or even any ideas for a jumpstart to this essay, that would be great. Thank you!

Hey there ^_^,

I found this on the website below which shows what brought Simon and Garfunkel to fame. The most important point bellow, in my opinion, is Simon's influential incorporation of world music into Western pop.

Maybe look into other composers that use similar techniques to Simon and Garfunkel, this could show a progression in music, adaptation. 

Claims to fame:

• Folk and folk-rock's most successful duo
  • Established Paul Simon as one of the pre-eminent songwriters of his generation
  • Created the most seamless duo harmonies since the Everly Brothers
  • Brought folk-rock into the modern age with epic poetic stances and innovative production
  • Created a healing anthem for a turbulent era with the 1970 single "Bridge Over Troubled Water"
  • Began Simon's influential incorporation of world music into Western pop

Website:http://oldies.about.com/od/60srockers/p/simongarfunkel.htm

Hope this Helps :irene:

1 hour ago, Oscarthecat3 said:

Hey there ^_^,

I found this on the website below which shows what brought Simon and Garfunkel to fame. The most important point bellow, in my opinion, is Simon's influential incorporation of world music into Western pop.

Maybe look into other composers that use similar techniques to Simon and Garfunkel, this could show a progression in music, adaptation. 

Claims to fame:

• Folk and folk-rock's most successful duo
  • Established Paul Simon as one of the pre-eminent songwriters of his generation
  • Created the most seamless duo harmonies since the Everly Brothers
  • Brought folk-rock into the modern age with epic poetic stances and innovative production
  • Created a healing anthem for a turbulent era with the 1970 single "Bridge Over Troubled Water"
  • Began Simon's influential incorporation of world music into Western pop

Website:http://oldies.about.com/od/60srockers/p/simongarfunkel.htm

Hope this Helps :irene:

Thank you so much!