Telling Lies

CellarDoor

This topic arose during my ToK lesson today an let's say it lit up quite a fire. It left me intrigued concerning mainly the ethics behind this question.

Immanuel Kant has written that lying is always wrong, even if a lie would bring out the best consequences.
At first, I didn't agree, but then it occured to me that the second half of the sentence was pure speculation: you can not know the 'otherwise' effects.

I can think of many examples where lying might be useful and where it is in our daily lives, such as Santa Claus, a doctor teeling a patient he has a chance to live when he has a very slim chance, placeboes, white lies...

I'd like to hear some more opinions!

Edited by CellarDoor

I do not think that lying is ever best, unless in extreme situations where lying would save many lives, etc.

However, in the case of placebos, patients taking a drug not yet available for general use are aware that some of them will be getting a placebo and others will be getting the actual drug; therefore, this scenario helps people without relying on lies.

And I agree, the end rarely justifies the means.

lying questions morals

we have poks here:

bias: who decides wif its right or wrong
limitation: we're limited to knowing what is right or wrong

woks: religion, states that lying is wrong eg. 10 commandments, the qran, etc etc

just go in detail and you'll be fine