EE things to avoid

mcrivelli

Hi everyone

I am currently writing my EE, and I was wondering if anyone has any tips or advice on things to avoid. Obviously try to avoid being repetative in your word choice, and using clichés. 

Any advice or tips would be greatly appreciated :)

Thanks

As the cliche goes, leaving it too late. This isn't really because you can't complete a decent EE in a short period of time (though, the chances of that dwindle quickly), it's because the stress you'd go through is probably unhealthy. It also increases the chances of you believing the falsehood that "you only work well under pressure". 

When you're writing, assuming your reader understands your train of thought before you've put it on the page. Reading aloud helps with this. 

Not checking for duplicated words. Again, reading aloud helps. 

Having extremely long sentences which would benefit greatly from a full stop or three. 

• Like 2

I'm sorry, I don't understand what you mean here..... I am already a quarter of the way through the writing process, and have completed all of my research... I don't think I have put it to the last minute at all, for my whole grade is at the same point as I am.... 

Can you please elaborate 

50 minutes ago, mcrivelli said:

I'm sorry, I don't understand what you mean here..... I am already a quarter of the way through the writing process, and have completed all of my research... I don't think I have put it to the last minute at all, for my whole grade is at the same point as I am.... 

Can you please elaborate 

I believe it was general advice, and AWB didn't know at which point you are. 'I'm writing my EE' is hardly indicative of where you are in the process. You may well have just started coming up with the topic. 

• Like 1

I think if you want customized responses to your situation, you should tell us more about your EE, such as at the minimum your subject. In some EEs, repeating yourself in the sense that you are saying the same thing in different places or contexts in the paper may sometimes strengthen your arguments, and sometimes can be seen as making good connections. 

Avoid being complacent with meeting the word count (max 4000 words). In many subjects, it may be useful to write over the word count then revise your way. I estimate from my experience as a newspaper editor that you get get rid of 25-40% of words of a first draft through rigorous revision. 

Avoid missing easy marks, like those for abstract, and formal presentation. 

Things like not using in text citations for a reference listed at the end can jeopardize your Diploma so don't do that. 

• Like 1