IB HL subject choice

fuggedaboutit

Hi, I really need some help with my IB HL subject choice... I am planning to study English Literature and Spanish language B at SL, as well as Math at HL. For the remaining two IB HL subjects, I am struggling with which to choose among Economics, Chemistry, and Physics. I haven't got any idea yet for what I want to study in the university, so I was told that Chem and Phy will be a smarter choice to make sure that I can meet certain requirements of some courses when entering uni. But I was also told that Econ HL is the easiest (correct me if I'm wrong).

Does anyone study similar subjects to mine? Can someone share his/her experiences whether any of the above subjects is very tough?

Thanks!

Through my entire IB time, I have ALWAYS been told that having 2 sciences on HL was as close to death as it gets. I wouldn't recommend it - but now I'm more of a humanities-student that sciences-student. It also depends on what you want to study at university. I honestly don't know if this exists in other countries, but in Denmark you have supplementary courses you can follow in the summer after finishing High School, where you can get the requirements, uni sets. I think you should check out if that's also the case in the UK, because that might ease up on your IB-years. 

However, if you're taking your exam in 2019, you don't have to chose for another whole year, so take your time considering and follow your gut. That's what I did, and these 2 years have been the best of my life. Consider that as well, when choosing. IB isn't a way of meeting uni requirements, it's about you as an intellectual and individual, weigh that in your considerations as well. The best of luck. :-) 

• Like 2

Hello! 

Have you got any past experiences with these subjects and know what you kinda enjoy? 

Theoretically it is "smarter" to choose HL physics and chemistry since the sciences usually have stricter entry requirements (as you mentioned), but this is not to say that if you do want to study economics at uni, you will need econ. 

I think you've really got to think about what you enjoy as HL chem and physics are really demanding subjects (from what I hear) and if you don't like them it will be quite a pain...

(and especially since you're choosing HL Maths which is horrible from what I hear (which btw will go great with either a physics or econ university route))

Edited by alexalexalex

HL Chem and Physics would be best if you want to pursue engineering and maybe some science programs. Other than that, you really only need 1 HL science and you can take HL Econ (which I did find really easy) to boost your score. HL Math, Chem and Phys is one of the deadliest combinations ever, so only pick it if you know you can handle it or if you want to be an engineer. 

4 hours ago, VeronicaG said:

HL Chem and Physics would be best if you want to pursue engineering and maybe some science programs. Other than that, you really only need 1 HL science and you can take HL Econ (which I did find really easy) to boost your score. HL Math, Chem and Phys is one of the deadliest combinations ever, so only pick it if you know you can handle it or if you want to be an engineer. 

Pretty much this -- Chemistry HL's difficulty is still somewhat exaggerated though; there's definitely content that's not easy, but it's fun for the most part and once you have a strong grasp of everything, the exams won't be overly difficult. Also, Chemistry & Physics each year have the highest % of 7s for Group 4 subjects (with over thousands of students) so its definitely doable to perform well in those subjects if you put in the effort. 

Hey,

I see I'm a bit late for replying, but I guess better late than never. Anyways, I recommend you should take all three of them at HL for now. Its true that econ is the easiest HL out of four but if you wanna go to a science/math stream later on, it helps to have a science HL. If you go for science, you need 2 sciences at HL. Some say 2 science HL is a killer - its not. Sure, you'll have to work harder to get better grades, but its fun and you'll actually love yourself for scoring good when you do (at least its like that for me. Econ is easy to score so even if I get good I'm like yeah, saw that coming). If you do take PCM HL, I'll give you this advice - don't do it for the sake of doing it, only do it if you are really interested in the subject. Because otherwise, you might end up scoring badly....

If you're not sure about what you want to do, take 4 HLs for now and you can change them later on - or not, whatever you want. I took all 4 of them at HL and its almost the same as taking only 3 HLs (Econ HL isn't much different than SL and is more scoring because of paper 3). If you choose this, you can apply for almost anything. Another plus point is, if you get a conditional offer, then you'll have certain conditions for 3 HLs but since you've taken 4 HLs, even if one of your HL doesn't meet the requirement, you're still safe as you got other 3 to back you up.

You can check this out if you're still unsure about your subject choices. Good luck for IB! :D

I think that if you want to cultivate multiple options, you should probably take Math, Chem and Econs HL. Math and Chem will give you a good leg up into many courses in the sciences including engineering (though you may need to take bridging courses in Physics at the university level should you choose to take engineering later on). Econs will be good for subjects among the social sciences, and Econs and Math HL are great if you want to take a pure Econs degree in university.

Math HL is killer, but I really do enjoy Econs myself. I think it really depends on what you're passionate about, so take note of that :)

My combination is Maths, Economics and Music HL. Hope that helped!

Edited by [email protected]
  • Like 1

I would never recommend Math HL unless you are very determined in pursuing for engineering/math. (Sorry for the comment above.)  I personally take Bio, Chem, Econ HL. Chem HL is hard even though there is a high % of 7s, it can be dreadful if you do not have strong foundation for science. 

On the other hand, Economics HL isn't the easiest subject for a lot of students. There are difficult parts in Economics, for example how to write a nice and persuasive essay, how to link back to our daily lives, etc... However, I really enjoy Econ HL. 

If you are unsure, try taking 4 HLs and drop the one you feel least confident after a month or two (trial period). Or, talk to your teacher. (Always the best way) 

If you want any advice on picking subjects, feel free to message me if you have any questions. (I have been through the dreadful period of double science HLs but still predicted over 40+). 

Edited by inriya

• 2 weeks later...

I realize I'm like two weeks late, but one very important thing that needs to be mentioned...

TAKING 4 HLS AND GRADUATING WITH TEHM IS POSSIBLE. So far I think I know of 5 people in my class of 40 that are still taking 4 HL's after the first year of IB, myself included. Yes, math HL is hell, Physics HL is not easy, and I have no idea about econ. or chem. However, if you're determined, and don't decide to be a dumb*** like me (I played on two basketball teams at once for about 4 months), then try to take 4 HL's. Worst comes to worst you drop one and thats the end of it.

Hope I could help :)

• Like 1