Research advise on psychology EE

pfftttp

I'm doing my EE on psychology and how drugs and sleep effect the teenage brain. I'm working on research but I am having a hard time finding studies because when you search something, hundreds of studies pop up and most of them aren't relevant. I've tried to make them really specific, such as "biological effect of sleep deprivation on adolescent neuropathy" but it is still too vague to get relevant studies to show up. Any tips on how to narrow down this search or easily determine if a study is relevant? 

Have you tried using article databases as opposed to just google (assuming you haven't already)? If your school has access jstor.org is a really good resource, or just scholar.google.com is always good. When trying to search for specific details, take a note of anything in common with the ones that aren't relevant and omit them by typing "-word that you want omitted".

Fortunately/Unfortunately, the process of the EE is to look through various studies, relevant and not, and determine which are the most useful. It's a skill that it hopes to teach you, as frustrating as it may be at times.

Good luck with your work!

Aside from the "-word wanted to be omitted" trick apoello has posted above, you can also type in the words you definitely want to be in the search results in quotation marks when searching on google. If you type in "By searching like this" (With the quotation marks) on Google, all search results will have the words "by searching like this", in this order (In order words, the exact phrase will be searched for)

If you want specific words to be in the title of the website, type in intitle:texthere

That should hopefully narrow your search results a little!

Don't forget that the internet is not the only source you can use! Go to your local library and look up books there!