Can a school have more than 1 option topic?

IBTopper

Hi all, I am in the second year of the diploma programme. [HL: Math, Business, Economics. SL: English lang & lit, French Ab, Physics]

We have 6 students in the Math HL course and almost all of us want to go into different walks of life: Engineering, Architecture, Economics & Business. Now, the problem we are facing is deciding on the Option Topic. Our teacher says that there can be only one option topic per school, and I would like to know if we can have more than 1 option topic, because doing something that is irrelevant to our field of study doesn't make sense to me and all of us really are passionate about the maths our respective careers are going to have. 

Please advice. Thanks in advance! :)

Hi all, I am in the second year of the diploma programme. [HL: Math, Business, Economics. SL: English lang & lit, French Ab, Physics]

We have 6 students in the Math HL course and almost all of us want to go into different walks of life: Engineering, Architecture, Economics & Business. Now, the problem we are facing is deciding on the Option Topic. Our teacher says that there can be only one option topic per school, and I would like to know if we can have more than 1 option topic, because doing something that is irrelevant to our field of study doesn't make sense to me and all of us really are passionate about the maths our respective careers are going to have. 

Please advice. Thanks in advance! :)

It is most common that students in the same school will have to take the same option, especially if your school only has one Maths HL teacher (note that a teacher can only handle one option, because teaching 2 or more options for the same class is simply too much considering the time restriction). However, since the exam registration is always done individually, it is certainly possible to register for a different option (but only if your school allows it). So you must ask your IB-coordinator about it. But be aware that if the coordinator allows it to happen, it's likely that it'll only benefit a group of students who will take the option that your teacher teaches, while the other students will have to self-study the options that they like. To be honest, I don't think it's a good idea to self-study the option in maths HL, because the option is not only a huge part, but also one of the most difficult parts of the entire course, and it'll be a huge disadvantage for anyone who wish to study it by themselves.

So my suggestion is this: You and your classmates must first figure out if you guys really want to do this, considering that your teacher can only teach one single option, before actually asking your IB-coordinator.

• Like 2

Just one more thing to add, the six of you must all agree on the option(s) prior to November 2016, the due date for first round of course selections for May 2017 exams without paying extra. Unlike options for most other courses, only the option(s) registered will be mailed to the school so discuss with your peers immediately when school resumes. 

Considering your post-secondary paths, I recommend Option 7: Statistics and Probability or Option 9: Calculus. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...