I need help with limiting my Research Question range of years

aliveisthename

Hello IB survivors/ surviving!

I have chosen my Research Question quite a while ago but I have been changing the era (the time limit) so many times and I'm not sure if it is better to keep it within a range of 10 years only or expand it more.

Also, I'm not so sure how I should go about approaching the question - the introduction and the arguments. How many arguments am I recommended to have? Is it okay if I use the PEA (Point, Evidence and Analysis) approach here?  I'm aware I've just asked a 100000 questions but I really need some help because i have about a month until my first draft is due!

Below is my research question(s):

To what extent has the portrayal of women in American music reveal a change in viewing of women from 2004 to 2014?

OR

To what extent did the portrayal of women in American music from the 90's to the new millennium reveal a change in the viewing of women?

Edited by aliveisthename

I'd say make it specific what kind of American Music. Do you mean Jazz/Rap/Blues etc.? 

2004 to 2014 or 90s to the new millennium are both only 10 years long so you can definitely talk enough within that time period in a 4000 word essay. 

PEA is fine; what I'm doing is an Introduction, 5 Arguments, then a Conclusion, each in the PEA format, for my english A EE

Really though, I'd recommend making your "American music" more specific. 

Edited by IB`ez
  • Like 1

I'd say make it specific what kind of American Music. Do you mean Jazz/Rap/Blues etc.? 

2004 to 2014 or 90s to the new millennium are both only 10 years long so you can definitely talk enough within that time period in a 4000 word essay. 

PEA is fine; what I'm doing is an Introduction, 5 Arguments, then a Conclusion, each in the PEA format, for my english A EE

Really though, I'd recommend making your "American music" more specific. 

Thank you,  IB`ez :) !

I thought of that initially but then I said that it would limit me from looking at various geners (and sources to use!)

Thank you,  IB`ez :) !

I thought of that initially but then I said that it would limit me from looking at various geners (and sources to use!)

In that case, (in my opinion) you should state exactly in the research question which genres you'd be looking at. Alternatively, you could state and explain it all in your abstract/intro.

I love what topic you have decided to discuss because it something people can easily connect to compared to the revolutionary war or other major conflicts that have passed a long time ago.

First off, I took the liberty of switching around some words in your proposed research question because the one you listed just sounded funky.

To what extent has the (music genre(s)) industry revealed a change on the portrayal of women from (time period)?

I think it would be smart to be explicit about what type of music you will talk about because the research question needs to be precise but not exceedingly specific because if you slightly stray away from your research question then they will most likely deduct. My thought is possibly to try and compare to music genres during two different time periods if that makes sense. Like comparing the portrayal of women in 90's rock and the early 2000's pop culture. I hoped that helped you out man!!!!