Laptop

Devak

Laptop vs Chromebook  

11 members have voted

1. 1. Whats better for grade 9 pre-ib

• Laptop
    • Chromebook

I am going into grade 9 pre-ib next year in Canada, but I'm a bit confused on which laptop/Chromebook I should get. My school manly uses google drive, but I might need other programs too. I also want a lightweight laptop that is durable, won't get outdated quickly, and is under $800 CAD. Are there any suggestions as to which laptop is best for me?

Basically a laptop will do just about everything a chromebook will do and then some. A laptop definitely gives you more options in terms of programs/applications. Whereas a chromebook is basically limited to the chrome browser (and all the fun stuff). It you're going to need any not google programs the safest bet is going to be a laptop. 

I have an 15" HP laptop that I used throughout IB that weighs about 5lb (roughly 2kg). I think I payed like $250 USD for it, so it's on the cheaper end of laptops. It has a fast processor and lots of storage. The screen is nothing fancy but netflix, research and typing papers don't need it. But the battery life is kinda sucky at about 2 hours. 

My advice would be to play with a chromebook at a computer store and see if you like it over a typical laptop. They're different enough that it's best to play with one before you buy it.

• Like 1

If you have not been taking notes with a laptop then you probably won't end up bringing it often to school then a desktop of same price range would have better performance and life (and a huge monitor!). Usually your school will have programs (not free anyways) available on school computers so you don't have to worry. You will also have to carry lots of books to and from school. Ask if your school has laptop carts or enough computer labs, and you might not need to own a laptop as opposed to a desktop. One advantage of a desktop is that you can update the individual parts but basically if you need to get a new laptop component, you essentially should just get a new laptop. 

Either way, if Canada Day sales are over the back-to-school sales should be here in few weeks so you can still get good deals. 

Your price range of <$800 seems reasonable to me, if a little high. For high school, all you really need is an entry-level laptop with basic features and a long battery life. My dad has the Acer Aspire R 14 for his business, and I would strongly recommend it to any high school student. It is honestly so light and durable, and has a really elegant feel to it if you ask me haha. Also, it is so cheap- $369 on Amazon!!!!

That's just one option- out of many. Don't feel that you have to splurge to get a good laptop, especially at this stage. I personally don't even own a laptop, much less bring one everyday to school. Taking notes by hand is way more effective anyways. Check out Acer and Chromebook options, there are plenty of hidden gems out there.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...