PHYSICS HL - TIPS/TRICKS

J O Y

Hey guys!!

So as it is July, my November exams are only a few months away. Currently, my worst subject is physics HL. I find it really difficult to grasp (and memorise) all the different concepts and I'm slightly stressed out at the moment as the only topics I'm kinda confident in are topics 2, 3 and 4. 

So my current plan is to go through the Oxford textbook and take summary notes of each topic. Then after taking the summary notes I plan on doing questions for that topic. I'm not sure how effective this method would be, and it would also be very time consuming. Also I heard that the May 2016 Physics paper was a horrific :') *crying*

I'm just wondering if any other physics HL students have good tips on pretty much just learning everything and being able to fully understand every topic with depth. 

Thanks!

Also if you guys have any tips for my other subjects feel free to chuck em in this thread :)

Edited by J O Y

• 2 weeks later...

1. I'm not Physics HL. 2. I am not part of the 2016 and later examinations. 
It shouldn't be too hard to memorize, but grasping the concepts is the tough and important part. The May 2016 Paper 2 and 3 had 7 cutoffs in the 50%, but the IA cut off was significantly higher than before. This would be effective, and I would probably do questions while you rewrite your notes. 

You may want to ask people in May 2016 session, as any thing I say may be invalidated by the new syllabus. 

EDIT: Do some problems with friends who know what they are doing. First do the problems on your own then discuss with group ones you have trouble with. @Vioh is very keen on taking notes, while personally I like to just practise problems from past papers. I didn't go all the way back to 2001, unlike @Djsporting, only 2009-2012 (QuestionBank v3) and various physics contests. 

In Canada, we have a CAP contest that is based on the Physics HL curriculumhttp://www.cap.ca/en/activities/medals-and-awards/prizes-students/university-prize-exam/previous-exams. The password is

Spoiler

dowager

It's a super super difficult exam that if you can get 50% of multiple choice you are looking at a 7. Note that CAP is more particular about minute difference. For example acceleration two isotopes of gold (+1) ion under same electrostatic force, CAP will say the accelerations will be different but IB will likely say that they're same. 

Edited by kw0573
  • Like 2

I did the May 2016 Physics HL Exam, and like you during my preparation time I had some trouble grasping concepts too. I cannot stress enough the importance, which past papers have. If you do enough past papers (I did all from November 2015 until May 2001) you will succeed and you will see that as you go, you'll get better and better. Check the Markschemes, they exist for a reason. Also, when you are faced with a question you do not understand post a screenshot on this forum and someone will help you, or check the Markscheme. As you do past papers gaps in your knowledge will surface and as that occurs you can check your textbook. Also, i'd absolutely recommend the Tsokos tectbook, it is a lifesaver, especially for the new content. 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, kw0573 said:

1. I'm not Physics HL. 2. I am not part of the 2016 and later examinations. 
It shouldn't be too hard to memorize, but grasping the concepts is the tough and important part. The May 2016 Paper 2 and 3 had 7 cutoffs in the 50%, but the IA cut off was significantly higher than before. This would be effective, and I would probably do questions while you rewrite your notes. 

You may want to ask people in May 2016 session, as any thing I say may be invalidated by the new syllabus. 

EDIT: Do some problems with friends who know what they are doing. First do the problems on your own then discuss with group ones you have trouble with. @Vioh is very keen on taking notes, while personally I like to just practise problems from past papers. I didn't go all the way back to 2001, unlike @Djsporting, only 2009-2012 (QuestionBank v3) and various physics contests. 

In Canada, we have a CAP contest that is based on the Physics HL curriculumhttp://www.cap.ca/en/activities/medals-and-awards/prizes-students/university-prize-exam/previous-exams. The password is

Reveal hidden contents

dowager

It's a super super difficult exam that if you can get 50% of multiple choice you are looking at a 7. Note that CAP is more particular about minute difference. For example acceleration two isotopes of gold (+1) ion under same electrostatic force, CAP will say the accelerations will be different but IB will likely say that they're same. 

Both  @Vioh and @kw0573 seem to have more experience when it comes to Physics than myself. Personally @Vloh helped immnesly during my IB days (which just finished two weeks ago). I used question banks to practice for Class tests. However, since you're from the new syllabus I would suggest purchasing the Tsokos book to prepare for the new content, it really helped me out especially with the new Nuclear Physics AHL content and Kerichoff Laws (Circuit problems). 

Best of Luck 

Edited by Djsporting