IB BIOLOGY IA HELP

minsuqa

Hi, 

I've finished doing my experiment and I am now trying to write up my lab report. My research question is "How does changing the concentration (100%, 75%, 50%, 25%, 1%) of potato solution containing the enzyme catalase affect the speed of at which a paper disk sinks and rises in a beaker of 1.5% concentration of hydrogen peroxide?" and I'm not sure whether i'm doing it right anymore? Does my RQ make sense at all? Also I've just realised my independent variable, the concentration of potato solution isn't decreasing proportionally because of that 1% at the end but I need atleast 5 variables. Would this greatly affect my lab report?

I'm completely lost and confused right now  

Your RQ is quite long and repetitive, maybe summarizing it to the simplest will be better. I will actually suggest you not to do the 1% solution but changing it to 5 or 10% (?)  It will not greatly affect your lab report if it is not decreasing proportionally, as long as you find the sources of errors and what factors are affecting your results by stating it in your report. 

Hope it helps (I am no expert but my past experience in doing Bio IA can offer you simple advice to look at)

Edited by inriya
  • Like 1

Your RQ is quite long and repetitive, maybe summarizing it to the simplest will be better. I will actually suggest you not to do the 1% solution but changing it to 5 or 10% (?)  It will not greatly affect your lab report if it is not decreasing proportionally, as long as you find the sources of errors and what factors are affecting your results by stating it in your report. 

Hope it helps (I am no expert but my past experience in doing Bio IA can offer you simple advice to look at)

Thank you for responding ! :) 

I'll rephrase my RQ. I would change it but I've already finished the experiment and redoing it is not possible :/  I was just wondering if it would be a huge problem. Thanks again, it did help! 

Thank you for responding ! :) 

I'll rephrase my RQ. I would change it but I've already finished the experiment and redoing it is not possible :/  I was just wondering if it would be a huge problem. Thanks again, it did help! 

It won't be a huge problem in my opinion, if it does not decrease proportionally, just state it in the IA as an systematic error.  I am glad it did help.