Jump to content

Recommended Posts

@Merril889 I meant the "final" score for the specific subject. So if I got 7's on ALL the IA's in say Biology, and a 5 on the External Exams in Biology, what would my final score in Biology be? 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The way IB grading works is that the final grade is a combination of the other ones, not an average or anything like that. We don't know if that 5 was closer to the lower or upper boundary, or if those 7s are high or low, or if they will get marked down heavily. E.g. in SL maths, I had a 6 in P1, 4 in P2 and 6 in IAs, but got a 5. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Agree with previous repliers: you need to add up the weighted raw scores so it's out of 100, then convert to a scale out of 7, based on that year's published boundaries. Typically IAs worth only 20-25% of final grade, so they are not as significant as external assessments. If you get 34 out of 40 on an IA that's worth 20% of final grade, then you have accumulated 17 marks for your final grade out of 100.

Back to your question, probably a medium 5 to low 6.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah I was actually going to questimate about a 5 or a really low 6 since you made 5's on each EA which are worth more!!! Don't depend on your IA to carry you!!! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This question is not that easy to answer because it really depends on if you get a higher 5 or a lower 5  in the external exam. 

Assuming you do Biology HL (I think you are talking about Bio right): IA will count for 20% and the rest is 80%. For example, currently Biology IA is out of 24 (not 40), so if I assume you get 21/24 (87%, moderate 7) then in the exam around 65% , you will get around a medium 5 to a higher 6. The external exam has a much heavier weighting in terms of the final grade. Personally, my IA just got a 5 and my exam got a 6, so I got a 6 in the end. 

Your IA solely cannot carry you to a high grade if your EA is not as well performed.

Hope my analysis helps. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.