What subject could my EE topic fall under?

bpenmetsa

My EE topic is "The Representation of Racial Minorities in American Television" and my research question is "To what extent does the representation of racial minorities in American television affect how these minorities are perceived in real life?" (I will most likely have to narrow that down to a specific racial minority, but that's what I'm working with so far.)

I'm having a hard time finding a subject to fit my topic/question into. Does anyone have any suggestions? I know I should've picked a subject before my topic but I've had this idea for a while so I'm sort of backtracking now.

Film could work but I'd have to discuss film techniques, etc. and I'd rather focus my essay on the socioeconomic effects of racial representation on TV. I also think Peace and Conflict Studies might work, but I'm not 100% sure.

Any ideas? Thanks!

Edited by bpenmetsa

Hi, 

Personally, I think English Lang would work best, so part 2 (Language and Mass communication). You could look at Media and politics, e.g how media has changed the look of racial minorities in America. This would go well with your research question. As TV is a form of media. I therefore think this is your best bet. 

Any further questions, don't hesitate to ask. =)

Hope this helps^_^

Edited by Oscarthecat3

Hi,

The components of the subject may have changed since 2015 - 2016. And you may be on a new syllabus, which would explain your confusion. 

If you don't mind me asking, what level are you taking english at? 

and,

Are you taking it as a first or second language? 

I am asking you these questions, just so that I can help you find the correct category or part. =)

FYI, You don't sound ignorant =) 

Edited by Oscarthecat3

In addition to what I wrote, 

I did some research and found the categories for the EE, which can be found on this website: http://www.thinkib.net/englishalanglit/page/8363/requirements

Language and Literature requirements

As the Language A: Language and Literature course falls in Group 1, which is intended for native and near-native speakers, essays should demonstrate an appropriate level of proficiency in the language. If students want to write in their second language, a Group 2 essay would be more appropriate.

For all Group 1 courses, there are three categories of essays that students may choose from. The following are outlined in the Extended Essay guide. 

1. Category 1 - Studies of a literary work(s) originally written in the language in which the essay is presented.
    • literary criticism
    • well-structured and persuasive arguments
    • in-depth understanding of the texts

2. Category 2 - Studies of a literary work(s) originally written in the language of the essay compared with literary work(s) originally written in another language.
    • equal comparative analysis of both texts
    • cross-cultural understanding

3. Category 3 - Studies in language.
    • textual analysis skills
    • reference to culture and context
    • rooted in primary and secondary sources

2 minutes ago, Oscarthecat3 said:

In addition to what I wrote, 

I did some research and found the categories for the EE, which can be found on this website: http://www.thinkib.net/englishalanglit/page/8363/requirements

Language and Literature requirements

As the Language A: Language and Literature course falls in Group 1, which is intended for native and near-native speakers, essays should demonstrate an appropriate level of proficiency in the language. If students want to write in their second language, a Group 2 essay would be more appropriate.

For all Group 1 courses, there are three categories of essays that students may choose from. The following are outlined in the Extended Essay guide. 

1. Category 1 - Studies of a literary work(s) originally written in the language in which the essay is presented.
    • literary criticism
    • in-depth understanding of the texts

2. Category 2 - Studies of a literary work(s) originally written in the language of the essay compared with literary work(s) originally written in another language.
    • equal comparative analysis of both texts
    • cross-cultural understanding

3. Category 3 - Studies in language.
    • textual analysis skills
    • reference to culture and context
    • rooted in primary and secondary sources

So, from the categories list, I would suggest category 3; as TV could be argued as a language form (TV. shows, advertisements,etc.)  

20 hours ago, Oscarthecat3 said:

So, from the categories list, I would suggest category 3; as TV could be argued as a language form (TV. shows, advertisements,etc.)  

What would "primary sources" under Category 3 mean though? Do you have to take surveys/design experiments for English? o.O

3 hours ago, IB`ez said:

What would "primary sources" under Category 3 mean though? Do you have to take surveys/design experiments for English? o.O

What is meant by primary sources, are books, and as bpenmetsa said TV show scripts, or the TV show itself, with the visual imagery.    

Edited by Oscarthecat3

Just in case using English may not be truly what you want to do for your paper, why not look at it historically? You can examine the cultural aspects of society and define the role of television had on society at that time. Your sources would be from interviews with people from that time period to tv scripts??