Type I -- Logarithm Bases

jesli

Oh my goodness thank you so much you guys!

I was stressing out so much about this portfolio, but these comments helped so much! :P

One question, say I got my p/q form to be 4/x. When I'm stating that in my paper would I just say that the p/q form in 4/x or should it be written a different way? Not looking for any answers here, just wondering about the terminology. ;)

Further in the paper, it does give you an indication that they want another terminology. The thing is, my teacher keeps saying that if you just follow what they say without thinking ahead you will understand everything eventually. For the form in p/q, you will see how you can derive another form different from 4/x, but this is at the end.

Hey everyone,

i need help smile.gif, i am not quite sure what "justify your answers using technology" means... the way i derived my answers wasn't through my calculator, well except for multiplication... can anyone please help me. much thanks

nats

Anything that shows that you didnt do everything by hand. This is what my teacher says.

I used my GDC and mentioned it, plus the excel as deissi said.

Edited by mahuta

• 2 weeks later...

I would like to suggest that this board add a Latex feature, if it hasn't so already.

Instead of writing log(base8)(8) you would have a much easier image to view.

Here is an example of a IPBoard that uses Latex (of which I am a moderator so I know its possible)

http://www.playworkz.com/swingset/maoforum...opic=1153765812

Edited by dragoneye776

Well as you see on the last sequence

log[m^1]m^k , log[m^2]m^k , log[m^2]m^k , log [m^3]m^k

if you study the first number in the sequence you will see this

m^1x=m^k ergo k/1=x

second term in the sequence goes like this

log[m^2]m^k if you want to find which number this is

m^2x=m^k

x=k/2

and her comes the explination for why you can write it as k/n . If you look at the exponent in the base, and think of that as a number. you'll find ouy that is what decides the final number. are ypu following? this is getting quite messy, though i hope you understand some of it...

use of index laws^^ I hope you know them cause else this will be greek for you comrad. Just add me on MSN and I'll be glad to help you.

[email protected]

how would you write log(basem)m^k in p/q form? is it even possible?

Yeah, I think so too, because it was really hard trying to write logs using brackets.

Anyhow, I noticed how everyone who asks for help is stressing out. I remember being like that for the first one.

Just an advice, and I think the people who are done will agree with me, stressing out doesnt get you anything. I tried to forget that this is a huge thing, and work on relaxed. I really think this kind of thing should be started the day its given, which gives you a chance to ask for help more relaxingly.

Try it, you would be surprised for getting good marks on them.

Goodluck to all.

ok i am also having trouble with the nth term. I am not sure how to approach the nth term. i found my next two terms but i don't know what to do with them after i have found them and definetly do not know how to turn it into a fraction? help any one? just like an example with a different log?

im stuck on the latter part of this IA. i found that logabx = (cd)/(c+d) but i cant figure out how to proof that, it kinda just made sense. and the last question is explain how you arrived at your general statement. so im really confused, any help would be much appreciated.

I am at the same point... I take it they won't like it if I say I just found this out by trial and error... if anyone knows a good place to start...?

Well I have dont that Portfolio WAY BACK like 4 months ago but from what i remember is that the general statment has a denominator adn u must state that the denominator musnt be 0 as the WHOLE denominator alsoo that the number inside the log example: Log (X) the X cant not be 0 so you must say both with explantion plus examples

Edited:

How Ironic didnt know that i will be helping people on sth i once needed help in not so long ago (that same portfolio)

Edited by dexter

i dont get how to find the nth term .. i mean does use the end patern given - log ( base m ) M^k , log (base m^2) M^k ...

and how does one start the porfolio mines due tomoro and we only got one week .. :( ... does one introduce what logarithms bases are or do we just start of solving the questions ?? ...

confused :):S .. :hmmph:

any help wud be appreciated .. :D

few questions...

A few excel tables should be fine and you can have a graph showing the domain of values for x.
I did that, but my teacher says we have to explain why graphing it can justify.. like, I see a pattern, but I have no idea how to explain how what I'm looking at helps justify the pattern.

second, as far as limitations go, how would you go about explaining why there are negative log limits? and what kind of example are we talking about? actually making one up? I dont really understand how to go about looking for the limitations..

last, what do you guys mean by changing it to log base 10..?

thanks (:

Alright for your last question:

You know the rules: log(b)a= log©a / log©b

So changing a log into base 10 makes it much easier to calculate and stuff.

With limitations, the negative values, for log(a)c=x

log(-2)-8=3 mathematically this is correct because (-2)^3 is 8. But when you are dealing with what you are in your project it doesnt.

There are alot of other examples but i have an interactive oral to prepare..lol.

Hope this was helpful somehow.