Type I -- Logarithm Bases

jesli

Hey don't get all mad at me...

i finished working out the portfolio i just do not know what format to write it down in..

my teacher says it should be a continuous piece of work.. i just don't know how to do that..

i have a rough draft ready but as i have never done a portfolio before in my life i have no idea how is it supposed to be like..

i was just wondering if you guys could help me with that.. thus i wanted to view someone else's portfolio to get a hang of how i am supposed to write it down..

besides i want to know which graph software to use for my portfolio...

Well, there's no 'set' format so do what you like. 'Continuous' means essay not chopped up responses.

Just received my score on this today - got a 20 :D

Format - Although I didn't do it for this one, I've sometimes divided my portfolios into sections based on the prompts, like I. Introduction, II. Logarithm Sequences, etc. I never got marked down for doing that, but it might be easier to just write it as one continuous essay.

The instructions say something like: Describe how to obtain the third answer in each row from the first two answers.

I did some math to figure out the fractions on each of the four log's

The first one makes sense since it is recursive, and includes the fibonacci sequence numbers, and the next one has seven raised to the next few powers, and the third one is recursive with negatives, but the fourth one makes no sense to me.

The question is log(base 8) 512, log(base 2) 512, log(base 16) 512.

If you use fractions then you get something like: (9/3), (9/1), (9/4), which would make the next one something with (9/5) right?

This is my first Math project and I have no clue what I'm doing... so any help would be appreciated. Including how to write this thing.

Thank you

• 2 weeks later...

Hey,

I have a question about "justify your answers using technology"

I have heard about exel tables, graphing and converting the into base10, but how does t work?

what do i put into the exel tables and how does it justify my answers? the same with graphing and converting, and how do i actually convert log2 8 into log10 ...?

sorry about my limited english, i am german;)

thank you

im stuck on the latter part of this IA. i found that logabx = (cd)/(c+d) but i cant figure out how to proof that, it kinda just made sense. and the last question is explain how you arrived at your general statement. so im really confused, any help would be much appreciated.

Did you find out how to proof it? I am having exactly that problem right now and any help would be much appreciated. Thanks

• 2 weeks later...
Ummm, you actualyl shouldnt have left it to the last moment, i mean there's a reason why we're given 2 weeks:S.

But anyhow, as for the general expression, all i can tell you is that you're on the right track.

This is something all teachers told us: When you get to the justification/testing, just go crazy on it,lol.

I can tell you that the whole project is related, everything you found in the first part is there to help you with the second part.

oh...and deissi, I'm not giving any answers, im just guiding like the way my teacher did, I promise.

Hi, i also got the same expressions at the end. like 3/n for the first one. But for the p/q, do both letters have to be numbers? Or can it stay as 3/q?

PLEaSE help, I'm finishing off more or less and its due tomorrow. Thank you so much!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi i've got the general formula :D and i've found the answer without using any sort of technology whatsoever. but i realize that i need to use technology since its part of the criteria & I really dont know how to use technology for this??? i read the earlier posts but they seem pretty unclear. any suggestions? Microsoft Excel ?

• 4 weeks later...

i just wanted to say, my IA on logs is due tomorw, and i didnt start until about 9pm today!!! crazy huh, well now its 3:30 AM (day its due) and im at the end bit showing limitations...and i could NOT have done it without these 5 simple pages

you (especially mahuta)just saved me a LOT of trouble and stress

Edited by the_kidd

• 2 weeks later...

i wanted to thank all, who posted here too, this topic was really helpful, but i wonder if you've drawn any graphs or tables in your portfolio..? i have to give my piece of work tomorrow..XD so, i'd be really glad if you answered me this one question