TOK PRESENTATION DOUBT

anon5719

Hi 

i am in the process if finalising my topic for my TOK presentation and i would like to know what you think about it please help me out !

My main topic would be Ethics and invention ( knowledge question = how far is it necessary for scientists to create inventions based on ethics.) 

my main RLS would be about Agent orange and how it was misuses with out being tested properly and how it affected many lives till date.

I would like to know whether this topic would fetch me good marks and if Ethics is a good topic to discuss about.SO the main focus is on ethics  PLEASE TELL ME IF I NEED TO REPHRASE MY KQ or need to change everything or need a knew RLS

.....be honest about what you think! 

thank you

As long as you stay clear from all the right and wrong discussion I thhink you'll be alright. What my teacher always tells us is to keep in mind that TOK is not about what is right or what is wrong, but rather how do we get to that knowledge. 

@anon5719 Apart from what XbluesticX has recommended, I think you also need to think carefully about your RLS. This is because if you are thinking of talking about the spread of Agent Orange over Vietnam during the Vietnam War in the 60s-70s, then it's definitely not a real-life situation since you're just talking about a historical event that has written in thousands of history textbooks for years. A real-life situation should be taken from your own personal life, and it should be recent. For example, it may be the case that you have visited Vietnam recently and saw the children who have been the victims of the Agent Orange, or something like that. But make sure that you're telling the truth, because otherwise, it would sound really fake. Personally, I think your knowledge question sounds fine. But you also need to think about how you're gonna answer that question in a satisfactory way without vagueness. Remember that TOK presentation is not just about asking a good knowledge question, but it's also about providing a good answer to that question as well. Good luck!

• Like 1

On 16 July 2016 at 2:26 PM, anon5719 said:

Hi 

i am in the process if finalising my topic for my TOK presentation and i would like to know what you think about it please help me out !

My main topic would be Ethics and invention ( knowledge question = how far is it necessary for scientists to create inventions based on ethics.) 

my main RLS would be about Agent orange and how it was misuses with out being tested properly and how it affected many lives till date.

I would like to know whether this topic would fetch me good marks and if Ethics is a good topic to discuss about.SO the main focus is on ethics  PLEASE TELL ME IF I NEED TO REPHRASE MY KQ or need to change everything or need a knew RLS

.....be honest about what you think! 

thank you

I think it's a decent topic, for me the main thing would be that it's easiest to stay on course with TOK and also to demonstrate to your teacher that you're hitting the criteria if you're completely on-message the whole way through - in other words, use TOK terminology the whole way. Like you could frame your question as "how does our knowledge of ethics shape or limit our knowledge of science?". Remember TOK is all about ways of knowing and areas of knowledge and that's basically what you want to constantly be coming back to in order to score highly in your presentation - emphasising how the areas of knowledge interact and how what you're saying is relevant as an example of these interactions. What you don't want to do is accidentally slip into just telling people a potted history of Agent Orange. 

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

Please see  20 plus RLS and case studies  with sample KQ (Knowledge Questions) for the year 2016 for TOK Presentation. Ideally IB stipulates events/situations NOT earlier than 6 months from your academic year.

http://mindpads.org/tok-theory-of-knowledge-final-presentation-case-studies-and-sample-kq-2016-17/

Hope this helps.

Best

Mindpads.org