Jump to content

Choosing IB Physics AND IB History at HL

Recommended Posts

If you want to study Finance/Economics/Accounting/CS (even as a minor) what's even more important than actually having economics is taking the highest level of math available. As such, taking HL Math would be the main course recommendation for your aspirations, but if it's not possible to take HL Math then your course combination works as Physics can to some extent display mathematical aptitude.

Physics and History are different enough that even though both courses are rigorous they'll challenge you in different ways and not lead you to the state of being completely "done with life", which, for example, HL History and Literature combined would. It is absolutely a viable option to take both (I have a friend taking HL Physics, Math, History, AND Literature, but he's perpetually sleep-deprived and sick, so I wouldn't recommend doing that). 

However, if you're aiming for the very best schools in Finance or Economics then you should preferably switch to HL Math, or if you don't, you may want to take AP Calculus alongside IB to prove to universities that you are strong at mathematics, the unequivocally most important subject for anything to do with finance, economics, accounting, and even computer science (more important than actually taking computer science, in the case of the latter!).

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There's no reason why anyone can't cope with any subject combination provided they put in enough time and effort, which comes easy if they actually like the subjects they're taking in the first place.

As dhirajs already said, HL Maths opens the way to most (if not all) Business/Finance related majors/minors. For example, HL Maths is a requirement (SL Maths doesn't cut it) for enrolling in a Business Major in London School of Economics. Essentially, taking HL Maths gives you a lot of options. Taking HL Physics and HL History alongside it shows universities that you're not a one-trick-pony who's only an adept in maths/sciences, but that you also have a keen mind for social sciences, as well as possess strong essay-writing skills.

All in all, HL Maths, Physics, and History combined is a pretty tough subject combination, but its not that deadly; less so too if you take a Language B/Ab Initio you're already comfortable in and provided you don't struggle in English. I mean, there are already people who have taken the "dreaded" double sciences + Maths HL and have performed extremely well. Don't worry too much about subject combinations when you're still about to start off. There will be a lot of opportunities for any necessary adjustments and improvements.

Edited by IB`ez

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 17 July 2016 at 11:59 PM, dhirajsnarula said:

If you want to study Finance/Economics/Accounting/CS (even as a minor) what's even more important than actually having economics is taking the highest level of math available. As such, taking HL Math would be the main course recommendation for your aspirations, but if it's not possible to take HL Math then your course combination works as Physics can to some extent display mathematical aptitude.

Physics and History are different enough that even though both courses are rigorous they'll challenge you in different ways and not lead you to the state of being completely "done with life", which, for example, HL History and Literature combined would. It is absolutely a viable option to take both (I have a friend taking HL Physics, Math, History, AND Literature, but he's perpetually sleep-deprived and sick, so I wouldn't recommend doing that). 

However, if you're aiming for the very best schools in Finance or Economics then you should preferably switch to HL Math, or if you don't, you may want to take AP Calculus alongside IB to prove to universities that you are strong at mathematics, the unequivocally most important subject for anything to do with finance, economics, accounting, and even computer science (more important than actually taking computer science, in the case of the latter!).

Hey! Thanks for the wonderful reply. I would most definitely take HL Maths, however, I just don't think I'm cut out for that level of maths. I'm good at maths and can fairly easily manage an A/A* in GCSE level. But I'm just not 'great' at maths. I believe I can score higher in economics, physics and history. I genuinely wish I was competent for HL Maths, but since I'm not, should I just aim for the highest level im capable of with these subjects? 

 

1 hour ago, IB`ez said:

There's no reason why anyone can't cope with any subject combination provided they put in enough time and effort, which comes easy if they actually like the subjects they're taking in the first place.

As dhirajs already said, HL Maths opens the way to most (if not all) Business/Finance related majors/minors. For example, HL Maths is a requirement (SL Maths doesn't cut it) for enrolling in a Business Major in London School of Economics. Essentially, taking HL Maths gives you a lot of options. Taking HL Physics and HL History alongside it shows universities that you're not a one-trick-pony who's only an adept in maths/sciences, but that you also have a keen mind for social sciences, as well as possess strong essay-writing skills.

All in all, HL Maths, Physics, and History combined is a pretty tough subject combination, but its not that deadly; less so too if you take a Language B/Ab Initio you're already comfortable in and provided you don't struggle in English. I mean, there are already people who have taken the "dreaded" double sciences + Maths HL and have performed extremely well. Don't worry too much about subject combinations when you're still about to start off. There will be a lot of opportunities for any necessary adjustments and improvements.

I understand how essential maths is for universities (uk specifically) however I'm most likely to apply to HK and USA. Therefore, the effect on not taking HL Math should not be so tremendous right? I hope so :/ I love economics and the maths involved within. The difference in the level of maths in HL Maths and Economics is humongous. I understand why it's so recommended to major in subjects like engineering and physics, but finance and accounting rarely require anything greater than business calculus?? Thank you for your reply! Greatly appreciated :) 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, IndianTrump3688 said:

Hey! Thanks for the wonderful reply. I would most definitely take HL Maths, however, I just don't think I'm cut out for that level of maths. I'm good at maths and can fairly easily manage an A/A* in GCSE level. But I'm just not 'great' at maths. I believe I can score higher in economics, physics and history. I genuinely wish I was competent for HL Maths, but since I'm not, should I just aim for the highest level im capable of with these subjects? 

 

I understand how essential maths is for universities (uk specifically) however I'm most likely to apply to HK and USA. Therefore, the effect on not taking HL Math should not be so tremendous right? I hope so :/ I love economics and the maths involved within. The difference in the level of maths in HL Maths and Economics is humongous. I understand why it's so recommended to major in subjects like engineering and physics, but finance and accounting rarely require anything greater than business calculus?? Thank you for your reply! Greatly appreciated :) 

For the last part, I think so yes, though you'll need to do some research as well to make sure. You can apply for Accounting & Finance in LSE, although a 7 in Maths SL is the main requirement. 

Keep in mind though, that Maths HL, like any other subject, can still be overcome with time and effort. A friend of mine who averaged 5-6s in Maths SL in the first term, decided to drop it in favor of Maths HL simply because she didn't find our Maths SL teacher satisfactory, and she's still averaging 5s as well without putting in too much effort. Of course, the difficulty will vary from person to person, but if you're already scoring A*s in IGCSE Maths, you definitely have a very solid foundation in Maths excel in Maths HL.

But still, if you think you can score higher with Economics, Physics, and History, then go for it! Maths HL is extremely ideal, but that subject combination is solid overall as well. So long as your performance in Maths SL is stellar (about 6-7s), you still wouldn't have a lot of trouble getting into most Accounting related majors worldwide. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, IB`ez said:

For the last part, I think so yes, though you'll need to do some research as well to make sure. You can apply for Accounting & Finance in LSE, although a 7 in Maths SL is the main requirement. 

Keep in mind though, that Maths HL, like any other subject, can still be overcome with time and effort. A friend of mine who averaged 5-6s in Maths SL in the first term, decided to drop it in favor of Maths HL simply because she didn't find our Maths SL teacher satisfactory, and she's still averaging 5s as well without putting in too much effort. Of course, the difficulty will vary from person to person, but if you're already scoring A*s in IGCSE Maths, you definitely have a very solid foundation in Maths excel in Maths HL.

But still, if you think you can score higher with Economics, Physics, and History, then go for it! Maths HL is extremely ideal, but that subject combination is solid overall as well. So long as your performance in Maths SL is stellar (about 6-7s), you still wouldn't have a lot of trouble getting into most Accounting related majors worldwide. 

Thank you! I have no desire to study in UK really! Looking more into US and Hong Kong for which I could perhaps show my mathematical skills by SAT subject tests (Maths). They're not really as restrictive as UK is and it seems UK unis don't understand how hard HL Math is compared to A-level Math 😡 Furthermore literally everything requires HL maths in UK that has any relation to STEM.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.