Taking IB next Year. Need major help and FAQs

talktome

Hi guys, I'm 16 this year, Studying in Singapore. And taking the IB next year at Anglo Chinese School Independent. Was in their school in the secondary years.

My aspiration when I grow up is to do something that does not involves my brain.. How Ironic. But I really hate using my brain that much, and I am thinking more of being a publicists, something to do with organization and management.. Anyways enough of my dumb talk..

I need help choosing the subjects to take next year and hopefully by letting you guys know what I want to do in the future, it might affect the decision of subjects?

English A1 at standard Level

Chinese B at standard Level

Mathematical Studies at standard Level (I hate math)

Biology at Higher Level ( I've dropped physics and I don't really like Chemistry, not that I really enjoy Bio..)

Economics or Business & Management (I'm veering towards B&M because Econs involves Math if I'm not wrong..) at Higher Level

History at Higher Level (Actually, I don't really enjoy studying history, I'm more of a realist and those kind of look-into-the-future and forget the past kinda person)

O well.. I really need help on which subject I should take and whether I should switch my subjects around between higher and standard level.

I was wondering where I could get the syllabus for 2009 for the following subjects?

Those who take Biology: Is it easy to cope? Can you share you experience?

Those who take Business & Management: Does it involve alot of math?

And lastly, Are there other subjects I should consider, and which subjects would be best for my EE..

Sorry if I'm kinda long-winded.

Thanks you guys! and All the best for studying.. and Stuff.

Biology at Higher Level ( I've dropped physics and I don't really like Chemistry, not that I really enjoy Bio..)

Economics or Business & Management (I'm veering towards B&M because Econs involves Math if I'm not wrong..) at Higher Level

History at Higher Level (Actually, I don't really enjoy studying history, I'm more of a realist and those kind of look-into-the-future and forget the past kinda person)

I personally don't see the point in taking subjects you do not enjoy at all, especially at HL. Consider Geography instead of History, maybe that sounds more appealing to you?

Those who take Biology: Is it easy to cope? Can you share you experience?

I enjoy Biology (except for the plant and ecology topics) and find the HL course manageable even though there's lots to memorize. If you're bad at memorizing I'd advise against Biology - at HL at least. How's your Chinese? Maybe do Chinese B HL and Biology SL.

Economics does involve some simple mathematics, but if you can cope with Math Studies you shouldn't have a problem with it.

I can cope with Math Studies, I've seen the syllabus.

I'm pretty good at sucking in stuff and memorizing them. I can memorize facts of my Pre-IB Bio textbook of around 400 pages, of course I reduce them to simple notes and points. Got me a 75/100. Bio for IB in my school is really hard though, so I'm kinda proud :)

I hate geography too.. I can't stand rocks and whatnot... haha. Thanks alot for the advice. I'm just kind of scared of Bio because maybe my brain might get an overload of information.

OK, if you really wanna be a publicist, I think you should take both Economics and Business Management instead of History. Then you should lower Bio to standard level and take Enlgish at HL. This will give the best preparation for your future. I'm taking Biology HL and Chemistry HL. Bio is a lot of memorization and takes a lot of your time. If you're not going to be studying medicine or something related to biology do no take it at Higher level. Standard level alone is a lot of details to study.

No, don't take Business and Management at all. It's a completely useless subject, universities consider it a soft subject (which it is), so you're better off with History. If you look around the Economics & Business and Management forum, you'll find more reasons to pick Econ instead of BnM :) .

OK, if you really wanna be a publicist, I think you should take both Economics and Business Management instead of History. Then you should lower Bio to standard level and take Enlgish at HL. This will give the best preparation for your future. I'm taking Biology HL and Chemistry HL. Bio is a lot of memorization and takes a lot of your time. If you're not going to be studying medicine or something related to biology do no take it at Higher level. Standard level alone is a lot of details to study.

Thanks for the advice. But My command of English ain't that good and I might not get a 7... And Isn't it impossible to take Econs and B&M together..? Plus I think this combination will lower my total overall score.. O I don't know.

And Isn't it impossible to take Econs and B&M together..?

It is possible, but many universities frown upon taking both.

Plus I think this combination will lower my total overall score.. O I don't know.

And your original one won't? Sorry to say, but if you take subjects that don't appeal to you (History HL, Biology HL...) then you may not get the grade you want (assuming that's a 7), unless you're really determined.

I'll repeat my question: How's your Chinese? If it's rather good then you could consider taking Chinese B HL.

I get around 78/100 for Chinese B papers

I don't want to take Chinese B HL,

Im not a fan of Language HL's...

I don't really like any subject, basically I kind of hate studying all in all, I would just like a subject that I have ability to get a 7. :C. Yeah Im a walking contradiction.. sorry..

I don't really like any subject, basically I kind of hate studying all in all, I would just like a subject that I have ability to get a 7. :C. Yeah Im a walking contradiction.. sorry..

No offense, but in this case you should consider doing A-levels instead of IB (if you have the option, that is). You can choose a minimum of 3 subjects without CAS, EE and TOK - helps you focus on subjects you enjoy, resulting in a higher grade.

My aspiration when I grow up is to do something that does not involves my brain.

Well, if you consider yourself a "lazy" person, then I highly advise you not to take IB. IB requires you to use your brain a lot, and HL Bio is really hard (at least in my school). I would take English at HL, since it's basically the same books as SL, so it shouldn't be a problem, you only have a bit more work for your IB papers.

If you don't enjoy History, don't take it, it's a lot of work! You can go for Psychology, which would help you a lot with publicity. Also, if you plan on going to an American college, you don't really NEED IB, so you might want to consider taking only certificates for the subject you want and you will need. It will look good on your transcript, and you wouldn't have to do TOK or the EE.

Consider that last year I had a 92% in sciences, and this year at HL Chem I have a 70% so far. If you don't enjoy studying the subjects you are taking, then you should change them and consider other ones. I would advise you to take (if you still want full IB)

English HL

Psychology HL

Business HL

Bio SL

and then Studies and Chinese B SL I guess...

I'm in this school that has Pre-Ib and I'm already in the program and missed out to take the O's exam so yeah... stuck here. O well, I wished my school offered psychology because I love psychology! But too bad they offer only a medium range of subjects.

The combination u gave, yeah its perfect!!!!

**** If only they had psychology!

But yeah now I'm considering switching English HL with Bio HL, to drop it to a Sl...

If only they had psychology... :C

1. I don't think so, they only do the 3 sciences thing because some countries require that.

2. Yes you can, a lot of people do that.

3.People in your school are crazy, unless they have Economics and B&M in the same band, whereby you can only take one due to school policy.

On a side note, are you from Indonesia or Singapore? If the latter, would you mind telling me which school?

-I've merged your 3 threads, there was no point in opening 3 at the same time-

Acs Independent, So that means we can take both? I don't know and I won't have the courage to email the director just for a silly question like this, plus people tell me I can only take one.. I want to take both! :C!

O and Im assuming u take Econs, Is there alot of math in it?

So its possible to like take, let says:

English A1

Chinese B

Something Ab?

I don't know, my school has some restrictions on combination so as to reduce the need for teacher's human resource

IBC? Whats that.

Im still really confused right now on what to take actually. But I think Public Relations suit the major for me XD

Thanks for merging