SL Math IA Help

Thaddeus Han

Hi everyone,

So our school has recently introduced us to the Math IA. 

I've read several guides and one point I noticed is that you should preferably do an IA on an area you're very interested in so as to help your Personal Engagement criterion. Thus, I'm considering doing my Math IA on the Tessellation concepts in M.C. Escher's artwork. I'm very fond of visuals and art, and I would rather deal with patterns than hardcore numbers (I do SL Art too.)

However, I'm not sure where to begin! I've consulted with my teacher and he says that while it is feasible to investigate on MC Escher's work, it's a risk that I must take since it's out of the syllabus, thus I can either score highly for it or flunk it real badly, and that the mathematics used can be either very simple or extremely complex. Thus, could anyone assist me on where to begin, or the concepts that I could focus on as an SL student that is not commonly done for Math IAs?

Your help is greatly appreciated!

• 2 weeks later...

Picking a topic you are genuinely interested is definitely a good starting point. A large part of the Math used in MC Escher's art is hyperbolic geometry which not within the Math SL syllabus. Possible topics you can apply to MC Escher circle limit artworks include sequences and logarithms. These two topics are covered in the Math SL syllabus. 
You may like to click on this link to read more http://www.colorado.edu/physics/EducationIssues/research/papers/VanDusen_Tessellations.pdf.
Here is an additional link to read on the common mistakes made by students in their Math IA http://ibsuper.com.sg/top-5-mistakes-students-make-in-their-ib-math-explorations/

Edited by ib_super

Regarding the Personal Engagement criterion, you have to show that you have original thoughts (regardless of their quality) on the topic, or how the topic has made you think, what you find curious about the topic and how you explored it etc. For example in the type of Math IA where you explain a general math topic, you HAVE to articulate throughout the paper about your interests and how the topic teaches you about math, or how your perspective of math changes. In other types of math IA, maybe the student can show personal engagement with playing around with few theorems or solve a problem in an original approach. 

You have to refer to specific math concepts or branches in your IA. If geometry in MC Escher's art is your topic, you have to have some equations, maybe some graphs, perhaps simple calculations at the minimum. You cannot start writing as if the IA were in Art. 

The proper method to evaluate an IA topic is to think how you can approach this topic and show the personal engagement or math understanding that the examiners are looking for. You have to write your exploration like it's something others without SL math knowledge just couldn't write, even if they are huge fans of Escher. As long as it's at or above SL level, it can really be anything, doesn't have to be remotely close to syllabus. You have to write in such a way that you can explain the concepts very clearly, which often indirectly shows personal engagement that you've taken the time to understand the topic well. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...