studying Medicine

perykah

Hi so I might be starting the IB this fall, and I wanted to know if anyone could give me like and example of courses I should take if I wanted to study medicine in University.

And if it is possible to do 2 sciences and still have an art?

Edited by perykah

It depends on where you want to go. If you want to stay in America, you don't have any requirements as medicine is a post graduate course. However, Chemistry is always a good choice as it keeps your choices open to other countries. Biology is logical too, but Physics can (at times) be very important too, so it really depends on you.

I don't know for certain if you can take 2 sciences and an art, but I believe you can if you get special permission? I believe you may need particular reasoning for it then, so it's best to ask your school's IB Co-ordinator about this, as some schools may be a bit more strict because they want students to well and not over-exert themselves.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

It does depend on where you want to end up. In the US, there are certain (some would say more prestigious universities) schools that would like to see you challenge yourself with harder courses like Chem HL, but in the end, medical schools will only look at your unergraduate courses to see if you're qualified. Even if you take Chem HL or Bio HL in high school, get credit in college, and apply to med school, medical schools still won't take these scores. You're gonna end up taking them over in undergrad anyway. But if you're concerned about two sciences and an art, I'd say yes. My school didn't allow us to take two sciences, but I took Chem HL and Art HL, no problem.

• 2 months later...

If you intend to stay in the US your med school application is totally dependent on your MCAT and your GPA yet you still need to take some prelim courses such as Bio Chem organic Chem and a few others. It is best noted to major in Bio or Chem in uni, thus a solid IB grade is needed to get into a good uni with the intended major. I want to major in Bio thus I am taking Bio HL. I still take Chem but I take it in SL as it is demanding and I am not a high achieving student and I want the best IB score I can get. The IB curriculum however is university level and by taking HL you can end up skipping about a years worth of courses at uni which saves time and money.