Language B self-taught

Hello everyone! My sister is currently doing IB in New Zealand and she's taking French B but she's struggling with it so she thought she could take Arabic B instead (her first language), although her school doesn't offer it. 

So my questions are:

1) Can she take language B as self-taught? If yes, is there any legal IB document for this? cause I can't find one on the internet

2) Can her school disapprove of this? Or is self-taught system is only based on the student's decision and preference?

3) Is there a guide to the assessments that are done in self taught subjects? Or can she contact someone to guide her and let her know all the assessments and due dates? 

Thank you so much guys! By the way I did IB too :)

Edited by Hoda Fahmy

Hello,

1) yes she can do self taught. The only relevant document is for her IB coordinator to register her as doing arabic B.

2) her school can't disapprove of this, if it does she can go to the ibo and complain

3) All assessments in a B language are the same (just in a different language) so she could ask her (former) French teacher for deadlines

Hope this helps :)

• 6 months later...
On 7/23/2016 at 5:31 PM, bynary said:

2) her school can't disapprove of this, if it does she can go to the ibo and complain

How does this work? My school doesn't offer self-taught language B - am I supposed to force them into finding me the means of doing the course? I assumed if it wasn't available, they didn't have providers for the course content.

If Arabic is your sister's first language, the language B course is not designed for her.  The group is called "language acquisition" - as in, you're supposed to be acquiring a foreign language, not just practising one you already know.  I'm aware many people do language B courses in languages they're already fluent in, but to be honest, this is a bit unfair to people who are actually having to acquire a new language.  As your sister has found out doing French, learning a completely foreign language is hard.

The problem is that those who are fluent can answer the papers way better than those who are not native speakers, so the grade boundaries move up and standards get really high.  

That said, your sister would not be the first or the last person by any stretch to do this. 

I'm pretty sure the school could just refuse to support you doing self-taught, they're not obligated to help at all.  However, if you were desperate you could probably force them to enrol you for it with the IBO.

The only problem with this idea is that she couldn't do all parts of the assessment on her own.

While she could likely get someone to grade her practice things and such, and help her with her Written Assignment, as Lang B self taught isn't an official thing, there is no alternative assessment she can do instead of her orals. And in Lang B, you need to do two orals to pass. In fact, you need to do at least three of them with a group of other students, all speaking the target language, that have to be graded on the spot by a qualified teacher. Additionally, she would also need a teacher that speaks Arabic to do her individual oral, because the second half of the individual oral is discussing your presentation and its implications with a teacher in the target language...

So, it wouldn't just be a shady thing to take your native language as Lang B self taught, but it would also be practically impossible without your school supporting you on a level that you couldn't, by any means, be called a "self taught" student.

She can, however, take the high road: She can drop her English or whatever A, and take self taught Arabic A, and drop French, and take whatever language she had taken as her Lang A until this point as Lang B. Not as funny, and nearly not as easy, but this one is at least possible to do and is not messing with all the other people who are taking Arabic B, as an actual language B.

lol im doing Arabic, and there are 2 internals. there's the oral and then there's the written assessment. All though your sister is seriously messing things up for the other Arabic B students (thx a lot), in the end, she'll still need a teacher to at least look after the written assessment and a teacher with whom she can respond to in the oral, so if she can do that, then she should be all fine.

btw, اين انت تعيش الان؟ انا اسكن في استرالية، فقط انا من سوريا.