EE Film  

2 members have voted

1. 1. Which do you think it would be better for an EE? The original MARVEL topic or the classic Apocalypse Now and The Lord of the Flies (the island as a paradise)?

• Island and the idyllic (Apocalypse Now vs Lord of the Flies)
    • Marvel Spider Man Raimi vs Webb

Good morning/afternoon/evening (who knows, right?)

I have decided to do my Extended Essay on Film. I do not have it at my school, though it is one of my main interests.

My question is on the topic. I have thought about two options, please guys help me out in here: comparison between The Lord of the Flies and The Apocalypse Now (my RQ would be: To what extent does each film reflect the downfall of the oneiric/idyllic and the appearance of the anarchy?). In this first option, I would like to explore the islands and the idyllic as a theme, that is, the idea of perfection in Cinema. If you guys have some other idea than Apocalypse Now please tell me.

In addition, I though about comparing Sam Raimi's Spider Man (the older films) and Mark Webb's The Amazing Spider Man (the more recent spider man movies). It would be a cool and original thing to do, also there has been lots of debate on Mark Webb's films as they are considered to be worse and puny, comparing to Raimi's. I don't have a topic for this, since it is simply an idea, but if you think this would be good for an EE... I am kinda frightened with this as I have the feeling the examiners won't really like this...

Please guys, I am really in trouble, just let me know of what you think and if you had Film as an EE what was your topic.

Cheers,

Richard

1 hour ago, Richard Stifler said:

Good morning/afternoon/evening (who knows, right?)

I have decided to do my Extended Essay on Film. I do not have it at my school, though it is one of my main interests.

My question is on the topic. I have thought about two options, please guys help me out in here: comparison between The Lord of the Flies and The Apocalypse Now (my RQ would be: To what extent does each film reflect the downfall of the oneiric/idyllic and the appearance of the anarchy?). In this first option, I would like to explore the islands and the idyllic as a theme, that is, the idea of perfection in Cinema. If you guys have some other idea than Apocalypse Now please tell me.

In addition, I though about comparing Sam Raimi's Spider Man (the older films) and Mark Webb's The Amazing Spider Man (the more recent spider man movies). It would be a cool and original thing to do, also there has been lots of debate on Mark Webb's films as they are considered to be worse and puny, comparing to Raimi's. I don't have a topic for this, since it is simply an idea, but if you think this would be good for an EE... I am kinda frightened with this as I have the feeling the examiners won't really like this...

Please guys, I am really in trouble, just let me know of what you think and if you had Film as an EE what was your topic.

Cheers,

Richard

I think the first one would be better (comparison of lord of the flies and apocalypse now). I talked to a friend from my school who also did his ee in film (He did his on the use of some special type of action close up in films, he received a B) and he said that examiners don't particularly like EEs on comicbook related topics and that choosing lord of the flies and apocalypse now, given their cult status and frequent use in IB/MYP english could make your essay more favourable when being read by examinars

Hope this helps and good luck

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, bynary said:

I think the first one would be better (comparison of lord of the flies and apocalypse now). I talked to a friend from my school who also did his ee in film (He did his on the use of some special type of action close up in films, he received a B) and he said that examiners don't particularly like EEs on comicbook related topics and that choosing lord of the flies and apocalypse now, given their cult status and frequent use in IB/MYP english could make your essay more favourable when being read by examinars

Hope this helps and good luck

Yeah I also though that, though if I move on to the first one do you think that talking about a certain topic (idealism, oneiric, anthropological pessimism) as a basis for the comparison would be good considering the Film criteria? Or should I do something like your friend, related to the artistic aspects of the films?

Thank you,

Richard

Yeah, got it: mus explore a topic, compare and argument with artistic features.

How about the references/support material. I was thinking about using Rousseau as he is the expert of anthropological pessimism... what else, more related to film, do you think I should use, like documentaries, other films, reviews...?

Richard

1 hour ago, bynary said:

I think you should definitely avoid using the books "lord of the flies" and "heart of darkness" because then you could be dangerously close to an english ee.

The heart of darkness? Is it similar to the Lord of the Flies?

Dude, do you think I should compare instead the Lord of the flies with the edge of darkness, or keep the Apocalypse Now, considering my topic? Bear in mind that it also has to have differences, so that I can contrast them.

Cheers,

Richard

2 minutes ago, Richard Stifler said:

The heart of darkness? Is it similar to the Lord of the Flies?

Dude, do you think I should compare instead the Lord of the flies with the edge of darkness, or keep the Apocalypse Now, considering my topic? Bear in mind that it also has to have differences, so that I can contrast them.

Cheers,

Richard

(Apocalypse now is based on the novel heart of darkness by joseph conrad)

It might be interesting to compare with edge of darkness.

On the one hand it is important to have similarities and differences, on the other hand apocalypse now has a large classic status so you won't run the risk of an examinar not knowing the film.

Personally I would go for Apocalypse now