How can I start preparing for IB1?

Hello fellow IB people!

In a couple of weeks I will start IB1, and I feel like I should be preparing but I really don't know how and where to start. Are there any online study guides or materials that I should run through before I go to my first class? I forgot to mention that I'm taking

• A Language SL
  • English B HL
  • Economics HL
  • B&M HL
  • Environmental Studies SL
  • Math Studies

I want to be prepared for the first week, especially for Economics, so please, feel free to share tips, websites and experiences. Thank you in advance <3

BTW, I'm thinking of maybe switching environmental studies to Biology SL, because I feel like I understand Biology pretty good. What would you recommend? What are the pros and cons etc.

Frankly speaking, there's not much you can do to be "fully prepared" to take on the IB.

However, one useful thing you could do is download all the subject guides of the subjects you intend to take. These guides are extremely useful as they outline the entire syllabus that you can base your revision/note-taking on. Do ensure you download the guides that are the most recent. These guides are not really found on the IB website (not the one-page subject introductions). I believe they can be found in this forum, but a quick Google search should get you what you need.

Also, one thing I highly recommend for you is to choose the subjects you love, or at least are interested enough to study. Many people tend to choose their subjects based on the university admission subject requirements (which, of course, is mandatory). However, the problem is that they have no idea what they want to do in the future and they're simply following the safe route in the subject combination. If you're unsure about what you intend to do, for example, Medicine in University, don't take HL Chem, HL Bio and HL Math just because the admission requirements into Medicine say so. I highly, highly recommend you use this time to think thoroughly through what you truly are interested or passionate in and then choose your subjects. If you follow the safe route, I can guarantee by the end of IB1 you'll regret, feel burnt out, and feel that IB is hell on earth. Actually, IB is hell on earth, but the fact that you chose subjects you didn't like makes it even worse. To me, this is the ultimate step you can take to prepare for the IB. 

Forget about trying to begin studying before everyone else, it's not an important priority right now. What you could do now is thoroughly consider the subjects you truly, truly are passionate about, and download the guides so you're more or less prepared. The rest will simply fall into place. Best of luck for this arduous journey!

Oh, and sleep well before the IB begins. You will thank yourself, trust me. 

• 4 weeks later...

Welcome to IB! 

I would recommend start with exploring some Youtube course videos for your subjects.

It's easy to do and enjoyable. Most importantly, it could be a great foundation for your mindest. 

I have one for Economics: 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kmjzgB_tUJ8&index=3&list=PL72F6BDC91310C0DA

Economics is heavily based on understanding the concepts (kind of a common sense).

My teacher is a textbook reader so the class is quite boring. Though the fun part is that you can apply them to the real-life context! Enjoy!