Economics for DP without any prior experience, should I risk it?

When my batch did IGCSE, my school did not offer IGCSE Economics, yet they offer IB Economics. A lot of my seniors, who have graduated, took IB Economics (most taking HL) without any prior knowledge about Economics and some managed to score 6s or 7s. I am currently in Grade 12 and I didn't take IGCSE Economics nor Business Studies when I was in Grade 10. I take IB Economics SL and I am doing just fine (more than fine actually). So, if you are thinking of taking Economics for IB, then go for it! Economics is not a hard subject to learn, compared to the Sciences, which require you to memorize a lot of things. Economics require you to use your common sense and be aware of your surroundings because the examples can be found everywhere around you! An example that you might be familiar with is the subsidized school fees for the children of low-income workers in Indonesia. Subsidy is an economic concept that you will encounter when learning microeconomics. With real-life examples, it would be easier for us to understand the concepts we are learning.

Personally, I find Economics crazy boring as hell (hope my Econ teacher never sees this o.O). Content's simple and easy, don't worry if you haven't had any exposure to even social sciences in general. The only thing I find difficult is mustering willpower and drive to actually continue performing well in it since everything is so painfully tedious.

On 7/26/2016 at 6:58 AM, JeffreyYe said:

Alright Thanks! Btw which schools are both of you from in Indonesia?

Hi, 

Yeah sorry I prefer to stay anonymous (dont ask why) but it's somewhere in Jakarta. What about you? What school do you go to?

And I gotta agree with IB'ez there, if there is one thing Economics is good at, it is at putting me to sleep! Seriously, if I ever find myself unable to sleep at night, I would think about Econs and zzzzz..... You might think I'm exaggerating but I am not. Maybe it is not the subject, maybe it is just my teacher, but whatever it is, I find the class super boring. AND THE TEXTBOOK IS ALL TEXT AND GRAPHS.